Depression and islam.

Discussion in 'Islam in General' started by Umm Farouk, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Umm Farouk

Umm Farouk New Member

Assalamu alaikum wr wb,

Please i will like some advice on dealing with depression in islam, some people think its lack of eeman that causes one to despair and fall into depression but is it really so or is it just an illness. Kindly share ur thots, JZK.
  2. Musta'eenah

Musta'eenah New Member

Asalamu A'laikum, Ukhti please try

If you don't find what you're looking for, PM and let try to get you in contact with someone knowledgeable Insha'Allah.
  3. Abu Treika

Abu Treika Magoo

heres summat on the topic

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>
  4. Tisatashar

Tisatashar <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

From another angle, in these times of fitna with what is happening with the ummah etc many people happy comfy and snug in there position in dunya are quick to fire off poisonous barbs against their bretheren who are feeling not too well emotionally.

Depression itself is a word bandied about too much. Sadness often also fits the diagnosis.

Lest we forget that Yacoub AS cried for 40 years until he went blind. Now tell me if there is any doctor in the world who would not label that as 'depression'?
  5. AbuSulaiman

AbuSulaiman New Member

assalaamu alaikum

Do you feel depressed after specific things happen or is it just a general depression?
  6. abu 'eesa

abu 'eesa Custom User Title...

There is a book called "Don't be Sad" by Dr. 'Aid al-Qarni. I'm feeling a bit sad my self and am going to start reading it tomorrow. I'll let you know if it made me happy inshaAllaah
  7. IbnShaykh

IbnShaykh 'Mr Gangster Man'

You need a practical way of dealing with the issue. If you are suffering with long term symptoms then seeing a GP is a good first step. In addition you should increase your Ibaadah and duaa' as shifaa' is in the hands of Allaah. Not only this but it helps control and deal with the issue as well. So by all means work on your deen, but do not neglect the issues in your life or causes, or the symptoms that could be helped by a medical professional. There is no black and white cure for depression, one has to be wise and practical and put trust in Allaah above all. Don’t expect a clear cut answer to this issue, as it is complex and one has to be objective and really examine the issues and then tackle them.

Insha'allah this article should be of benefit to you, it is really good masha'allah.

8. Indefinable

Indefinable Umm Mujahid

Aaidh ibn Abdullah al-Qarni

• Download (15.1 MB) Right click and save target as
  9. kite_runner02

kite_runner02 New Member

Depression is an illness. Unless your depression is onset by your iman, then there is no need to link it to Islam. And if you know it is your iman, then there are steps you can take to make it go away; like involving yourself more with the community, reading more Quran, doing extra nuwwaful prayers, etc.

Otherwise, if it is caused by something else, then you need to see a medical professional's help.
  10. Umm Farouk

Umm Farouk New Member

Jazakallahu Khairan for all the replies may Allah SWT reward u all with Aljannah Firdaus.

Its a loved one that is suffering from deppression and it started after the death of her husband, she thinks she no longer has anybody to look after her despite the fact that she has six children and all doin well.

she is already on medication and is presently living with me i just wanted to find out more about the ilness to help look after her better.
  11. IbnShaykh

IbnShaykh 'Mr Gangster Man'

Then your task Insha'allah is much easier as you have a clear cause of the depression. The medication should help Insha'allah but the root cause needs to be addressed too. You could do this from two perspectives, one is to use the deen and comfort her with Qur'an and Sunnah. The other is to use things that will cheer her up or ease her burden. Obviously you know her better than us, so you know what will help her feel better.

Also remember to make sure she eats properly, sleeps and make sure she generally takes care of herself and her salah.

Insha'allah those who know better than I can give you better advice.

May Allaah help you and ease her sorrow ameen.
  12. Umm Farouk

Umm Farouk New Member

Amin Ya Rabbil Alamin JZK
  13. abu 'eesa

abu 'eesa Custom User Title...

I read a few pages and am a quarter of the way through the book and so far it is making me a bit happier alhamdulillaah.