Exposing and shaming the notion of "American Islam" - the greatest threat to Islam in the US today

Discussion in 'Islam in General' started by Ismail Ibrahim, May 2, 2013.

1. Ismail Ibrahim

Ismail Ibrahim Formerly Harris Hammam

In light of the appalling misguidance spread by Muslim 'scholars' and 'Imams' up and down the USA following the recent events in Boston, it was appropriate for me to gather all out efforts, thoughts and ideas on this corrupt notion of territorial Islam that seems to be getting out of hand and worse day by day.

For definition purposes:

American Islam for the purposes of this thread is the defeatist attitude adopted by claimants of Islam in and out of the USA that places, explicitly or indirectly, one's nationalistic identity over his/her religious identity, the process of which abuses Islamic scholarship and comprises of the unholy combination of diluting universal tenets and and undermining the traditional sense of global belonging with Muslims across the world, all in an attempt to win some temporary comfort from the American political establishment.

Feel free to debate and fine-tune this rough definition if you please. My ultimate aim though is that we all take ownership and embrace this negative connotation of the term and make sure people who fall into this are made aware of the long-term damage people do to the state of Islam and Muslims in America by trying to make it morph along with the whims and predilections of government there.

Not all elements of the above are found simultaneously in every instance, but many a time, some or most elements are found propagated by Muslims laymen, students and even 'scholars' there.

For clarification, we do not American Islam here does not mean the contextualised application of Islam for American Muslims which is rooted in classical theology and traditional Muslim orthopraxy. "Islam in America" is not the same as "American Islam", which for the purposes of this discussion is, simply put, "Americanising Islam."

I wouldn't mind if other forms of territorial Islam are discussed on this thread either.

More later. I'll be gathering what's been written already on this subject on IA first.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  2. Ismail Ibrahim

re: Exposing and shaming the notion of "American Islam" - the greatest threat to Islam in the US today

This whole thread:
    http://forums.islamicawakening.com/f18/lets-say-attacker-muslim-i-wont-consider-65303/

in which Mr Webb:
    a) did Takfir on the bombers
    b) publicly disowned himself from the Janazah
    c) did some serious arse-licking and compromised on Islam's notion of Wala and Bara on all accounts
    d) failed to highlight the plight of Muslims, not only across the whole world, but in his own country following the backlash, unless it concerned himself as was seen on Fox News
    e) no moral support for the widow, a convert to Islam

The danger here is that many have come out in his support. It is quite shameful.

I'm hoping if some brothers here could post up some specific comments on American Islam from that thread to here.

Absolute truth and Huzaifah like this.
  3. Ismail Ibrahim

Re: Exposing and shaming the notion of "American Islam" - the greatest threat to Islam in the US tod

http://forums.islamicawakening.com/f18/islam-amriki-american-islam-by-syed-qutb-39223/

4. CQC

CQC <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

5. Ismail Ibrahim

6. Ismail Ibrahim

7. Ismail Ibrahim

re: Exposing and shaming the notion of "American Islam" - the greatest threat to Islam in the US today

From 2008 lol: http://forums.islamicawakening.com/f18/myth-of-american-muslims-sect-17336/

8. Ismail Ibrahim

9. Ismail Ibrahim

10. Ismail Ibrahim

11. Ismail Ibrahim

12. Abu Hawwa

Abu Hawwa Formerly 'LionofIslam'

As well HH and others, also focus on the solutions for the American Muslims and all the Muslims in the west,there have been very beneficial ideas and thoughts made with regards to what to do with the disease of American Islam and how to get out of the mess we are in.

13. Abu Hawwa

Abu Hawwa Formerly 'LionofIslam'

[video=youtube;Q-G4SDF138I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-G4SDF138I[/video]

The elders have always been ahead of our times
    i can't listen to this now, when i remembered listening to this it had music in the background but i don't know if this is another version

If anyone can find the version without the music it would be beneficial.

14. Ismail Ibrahim

15. Ismail Ibrahim

16. Ismail Ibrahim

17. al-Afghanee

al-Afghanee Well-Known Member

Abu Hawwa likes this.
  18. Ismail Ibrahim

19. samix

samix New Member

Re: Exposing and shaming the notion of "American Islam" - the greatest threat to Islam in the US tod

I think that we need to somehow explain to the promoters of American Islam that inspite of what they think about how they are furthering the cause of Islam and all, they are doing a great dis-service to Islam by teaching this mutilated form of Islam to people. What is the point of calling the non-Muslims to a version of Islam that is not correct ?

@LionofIslam, I love the "bulldoze them ALL" sentence that they shaykh used in his lectures, the most in your face thing one can every say, and the nasheed in the background is very apt for his words!

Abu Hawwa likes this.
  20. Perseveranze

Perseveranze لا إله إلا الله

LA Times: Imam teaches Islam with a distinct U.S. style

Webb once joked about it being made by one of his favorite female R&B artists: “If Mary J. Blige made the call to prayer, I’d go to the mosque; I’d be in the front row.”

...Webb believes, for example, that barriers between men and women in U.S. mosques are not necessary, although they continue to be used in many traditional congregations. Unlike some imams, he does not object to music and believes Muslims here should be free to celebrate such secular holidays as Mother’sDay and Thanksgiving.

...At a Muslim conference in Long Beach last year, he suggested that mosques adopt a “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy toward gays. Afterward, he was accosted by a local imam who accused him of poisoning Muslim youth. “I told him, ‘Quite frankly, you’re going to be irrelevant in 10 years,’ ” Webb says.

May Allah(سبحانه و تعالى) guide us all...