Ghazali's Deliverance From Error?

Discussion in 'Islam in General' started by Sharif, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Sharif

Sharif Transient Traveler

Salam Alaikum,

I am thinking about getting Imam Ghazali's Deliverance from Error. I don't really know much about the book, though.

Any recommendations?

Anything I should watch out for?

Which translation would be recommended? I usually like ITS's translations, even though they are too extreme in regards to Sufism and have many (significantly) deviant ideas.

And...what is it about exactly? The captions and summaries I have read on various websites are kind of vague.

Also, are their any related works that you could recommend?

Jazakallah Khair.
  2. Abu'l 'Eyse

Abu'l 'Eyse Rep-manz

there are 2 translations, one by Dr Sherman Jackson:

and the other - which I have is by Reverand R J McCarthy

I have the later which has additional texts. However I have heard brother Sherman's edition is good also. It may have valuable footnotes, references and explanations perhaps?

The book is interesting and it shoudl be noted that it comes from the 'ash'ari viewpoint.

wa ALLAHU A'lam
  3. Madarijas-Salikeen

Madarijas-Salikeen <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullah,

Akhi its about the life of al ghazali rahimahullah and how he left his post due to deep state of depression and took up Sufism. He briefly states that he experienced things that he cannot talk about. He also mentions that sufis are the best people and their way is the best. That is the gist of it.
  4. Sharif

Salam Alaikum wa Rahmatullah,

I was mistaken about one of the translations being from ITS (I was referring to McCarthy's).

I believe the translation by Sherman Jackson is not of Deliverance, but of a different work by Imam Ghazali.

In any case, the book seems informative and definitely filled with wisdom. Despite the seemingly archaic nature of the topic (dealing with Islamic philosophy), I think that it would have immense practical benefit if the lessons from the book are applied in a more generic sense. That is just my impression from seeing the Table of Contents on Amazon.
  5. WM

WM <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

The Faysal, the book on heresy and takfir.
  6. Madarijas-Salikeen

Madarijas-Salikeen <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

There is actually a film on al-ghazali that was recently released. Well recently in terms of the past year or two. I have it and it is pretty good. It uses a lot from al ghazali's autobiography. Though it comes to the same conclusion as mentioned about that Ghazali accepted the path of Sufism and stayed with mystics practicing forms of dhikr and recieved visions and experiences and then returned home to his family and later died.
  7. Sharif

8. Daniel

Daniel TAFKA BM

I have "Disciplining the Soul and Breaking the Two Desires". It is excellent. If you have the opportunity to get it you should.
  9. Sharif

Thanks for the recommendations. As for Niche of Lights, I am kind of wary, and I think rightfully.

Disciplining the Soul and Breaking the Two Desires seems great for Tazkiyah, and I do plan on getting it.

Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife should also be really good, but it seems sort of expensive so I will probably plan on that in the future.

I am sure that Imam al-Ghazali (and Sherman Jackson) has some good ideas Faysal al-Tafriqa, so I may check that out as well.

Jazakallah Khair.
  10. Abu'l 'Eyse

Abu'l 'Eyse Rep-manz