History Books (by Muslims)

Discussion in 'Muslim History' started by Ibn Jafar, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Ibn Jafar

Ibn Jafar Well-Known Member

The History of Islam by Akbar Shah Najeebabadi is the most comprehensive book on Islamic History in English, written by a Muslim, as far as I know. I haven't read it but a few pages are available through Google Books.

The lectures of Bashar Shala go all the way to the late Bani Abbas era and they are not matched by any book written so far (in English). Some even come with slides. Although not a book, the site History of Islam goes into detail and covers the full 1400 years.

The biography of Salah ad-Din by Dr. Ali Muhammad Sallabi takes you to the late 6th century A.H.

This page from Dar us Salaam has biographies of:

Abu Dawood
    Imam Ahmad
    At-Tirmidi
    Az-Zuri
    Imam Bukhari
    Ibn al-Qayyim
    Ibn Majah
    Imam Muslim
    Sa'eed ibn al Musayyab
    Sufyan ibn Uyaynah
    Sufyan Ath-Thawri
    Imam Shawkani
    al-Albani

I haven't read any of them but they average around 200+ pages each (432 for Shawkani!), so I'd imagine they include a lot of background historical information.

Atlas of the Islamic Conquests covers Military History until Uthmani times while Commanders of the Muslim Army doesn't seem to go beyond the era of the Sahaba. You can read it at Kalamullah.

Deeper Roots by Dr. Abdullah Hakim Quick is a brief work on the history of Muslims in the Americas.

Safi-ur-Rahman al-Mubarkpuri touches on the history of Mecca and Medina while Al-Quds takes you through the history of Jerusalem.

The End of the Jihad State: The Reign of Hisham Ibn Abd Al-Malik and the Collaspe of the Umayyads by Khalid Yahya Blankinship deals with the decline of the Umayyad state. Google Books gives you a peak. He also translated 11th and 25th volumes of The History of al-Tabari.

Ottoman History: Misperceptions and Truths By Ahmed Akgunduz and Said Ozturk attempts to give an accurate account of Uthmani times.

There's Islam in Andalus and the more focused An Incomplete History.

The Life, Teachings, and Influence of Ibn AbdulWahhab by Jamal ad Din Zarabozo is only available in PDF as far as I know but he shines a light on the era of the Shaykh.

The Devils Deception by Ibn Jawzi gives you an early history of the Shia and Khawarij. The Mirage in Iran continues with the Shia. More on the Khawarij can be found in 'The Khawarij and Jihad' by Abu Hamza, he touches on the GIA and Algeria.

Defense Against Disaster by Qadi Abu Bakr explains the fitnah. Sold here.

The History of Palestine

More on Salah ad-Din. More still.

The Conquest of Syria. Available from Kalamullah.

Muawiyah

My Life with the Taliban and The Muslims of Bosnia: Genocide of a People are works on more recent history.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. Ibn Jafar

trn2allah and muslimah911 like this.
  3. Ibn Jafar

Recent History

Riding the Spears : The Contemporary Muslim World

muslimah911 likes this.
  4. Ibn Jafar

muslimah911 likes this.
  5. Ibn Jafar

Re: Recent History

Race With Death : 22 True Stories from the Bosnian War

muslimah911 likes this.
  6. Ibn Jafar

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
    muslimah911 likes this.
  7. Ibn Jafar

8. Ibn Jafar

Intellectual Origins of Islamic Resurgence in the Modern Arab World

9. Ibn Jafar

10. Ibn Jafar

New Explorations into the Making of Ibn Khaldun's Umran Mind

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  11. Ibn Jafar

Can this thread be made a sticky?

as-Sabiraat likes this.
  12. tayek1967

tayek1967 New Member

Muhtaram, I want to read that book. because I'm going to learning about history.

13. TheUmmahStridesForward

TheUmmahStridesForward It was written...

14. Abdullah11

Abdullah11 A wannabe neologist

MashAllah excellent thread

muslimah911 and as-Sabiraat like this.
  15. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

Jazakumulah akhii, good thing I came across this thread as it is something that has always interested me.

Are these books available in the UK ? As the prices are stated in dollars.

16. gag order

gag order Anti-Troll

I might replace my 2 Volume "History of Islam" by Prof. Masadul Hasan which is quite brief with this one.

17. Logic lover

Logic lover Well-Known Member

The history of 1400 years is so fast that a few volumes will be just like summaries of the events.

18. gag order

gag order Anti-Troll

but still useful especially the chronological sequence, although only the key facts are mentioned it was fascinating to learn what was happening in the various regions at any given time.....

19. Ibn Jafar

20. Ibn Jafar

The Women of Madina

Description from the publisher:

An abridged translation of Volume Eight of Ibn Sa'd's Kitab'at-Tabaqat al-Kabir which deals exclusively with the women who met the Prophet Muhammad, blessings and peace be on him and on his family and Companions, or who transmitted from him. The author is one of the greatest authorities on early Muslim biography, and his detailed work helps to make the Companions of the Prophet come alive for the reader.