Hunting

Discussion in 'Islamic Law' started by Ghazi al Mujahid, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Ghazi al Mujahid

Ghazi al Mujahid Not a Wobbler

Assalamo Alaykum wr wb,

What is the ruling for hunting for "sport" as they say? Not permitted?

2. Ismail Ibrahim

Ismail Ibrahim Formerly Harris Hammam

It is impermissible. Sport is not an excuse to take the life of an animal.

Abu-Asiya, Ibn Jafar and ahmad10 like this.
  3. umm hafsa

umm hafsa Anti-Free mixing

1. What about if the intention is not purely for sport or purely for food?</SPAN>

Like for instance, if a group of men are out in the desert and they have enough food with them to eat comfortably but the see some game are tempted to hunt and eat it....would that be permissible?

They could be tempted for any random reason like animal looks tasty, adrelinene rush, youth playing a game with eachother of who can catch it first, they want to take the meet back and sell it...etc
    </SPAN>
    2. Also, one more question on the topic of hunting. I don't mean to sound silly or too theoretical but are hyenas (animals from the cat family) halaal because I read that in a fatwaa but wanted to confirm it?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
    Muslim1 likes this.
  4. Ismail Ibrahim

Well if it is to make the animal Halal for consumption, that is ok.

The Hanafis say it is Haram. Some others say it is Halal.

Yuck.

5. IbnMuhammed

IbnMuhammed Human

6. umm hafsa

umm hafsa Anti-Free mixing

Yesterday I learnt that hanafis consider it haraam but hanabilaa???

I think I have found the fatwaa where it is claimed that hambalis consider it halaal. I have pasted it below:

The narration you are asking about is reported in book of Imaam At-Tirmithi [​IMG] from Abu 'Ammaar that he asked Jaabir [​IMG] "Is hyena considered as game?" He said, "Yes." He asked, "Can I eat it?" He said, "Yes." He asked, "Have you heard this from Allah's Messenger [​IMG]?" He said, "Yes." [Ahmad, At-Tirmithi] Another narration added: "If one hunts hyena in the state of Ihram he has to slaughter a ram." [Abu Daawood and Ibn Maajah]</SPAN>
    Imaams Ash-Shaafi'ee, Ahmad, Is-Haaq [​IMG] are of the opinion that eating hyena is lawful. Imaam Ash-Shaafi'ee [​IMG] said: 'People have been eating and selling it (hyena) between As-Safah and Al-Marwah without any objection because Arabs like it and find it delicious.'</SPAN>
    Imaam Abu Haneefah considered it forbidden. He cited the following narration as basis for his saying. The Prophet [​IMG] said: "Eating every beast of prey that has a canine tooth is forbidden." [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim]</SPAN>
    The first opinion is preponderant since the narration that allows eating hyena particularly addressed the issue, while the other narration is general. So, it is preferred over other one.</SPAN>
    Allaah knows best.

Source is islamic web^</SPAN>

7. Ismail Ibrahim

8. IbnMuhammed

IbnMuhammed Human

Exactly the evidence, and almost exactly the same thing Sheikh Abdullah Azzam mentions, Apoart from saying Hanabilla permit it, Wallahu'alam

9. Nazeelu Chinguetti

Nazeelu Chinguetti You DON'T wanna know!

Just found this old thread and wanted to comment on it.

As for beasts then Malikis considered it only makruh. And the Karahah is taken from a rule known as 'Mura'aat ul-Khilaf'. So according to them it's halal but they said its makruh since there are scholars who considered it haram. So they took others opinion into consideration.

But there's another narration from Imam Malik as well that says its haram. This is the narration of al-Muwatta'. And this is al-Lakhmi's opinion from al-Malikiyyah.

Al-Lakhmi has a good discussion on this topic in his masterwork al-Tabsirah.

He mentions the verse Malikis use

قُلْ لا
    أَجِدُ فِي مَا أُوحِيَ إِلَيَّ مُحَرَّمًا عَلَىٰ طَاعِمٍ يَطْعَمُهُ إِلَّا أَنْ يَكُونَ مَيْتَةً أَوْ دَمًا مَسْفُوحًا أَوْ لَحْمَ خِنْزِيرٍ فَإِنَّهُ رِجْسٌ أَوْ فِسْقًا أُهِلَّ لِغَيْرِ اللَّهِ بِهِ ۚ فَمَنِ اضْطُرَّ غَيْرَ بَاغٍ وَلَا عَادٍ فَإِنَّ رَبَّكَ غَفُورٌ رَحِيمٌ

Then he says that the Hadith prohibiting siba' came after acting upon this verse which is 'aam while the Hadith is Khas.

Now If the Mukhasis comes after acting upon the Aam then its Naskh only in the issue where the contradicted each other.

وإن أتى ما خص بعد العمل ... نسخ والغير مخصصا جلي

Now there's another problem the Hadith is Ahad and can a Hadith Ahad do Naskh to a muttawatir? Those who say it can used this Hadith as evidence.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  10. Nazeelu Chinguetti

Nazeelu Chinguetti You DON'T wanna know!

Another issue related to this is when your are necessitated to eat something haram and you can choose between something all scholars agreed on being haram and something they disagreed on the you have to choose what they disagreed on such as beasts.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013