Important Imam al shafi a sufi?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Islamic Theology and Ideology' started by Abubakr1, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Abubakr1

Abubakr1 New Member

Asalamun Alykum wa wr wb

Can somebody please explain these sayings by Imam Ash Shafi...:confused:

Imam al-Shafi`i said:

faqihan wa sufiyyan fa kun laysa wahidan
    fa inni wa haqqillahi iyyaka ansahu

(Be both) a faqih and a sufi: do not be only one of them,
    Verily, by Allah’s truth, I am advising you sincerely.
    [al-Shafi`i, Diwan, (Beirut and Damascus: Dar al-fikr) p. 47]

Imam al-Shafi`i also said:

I accompanied the Sufis and received from them but three words: their statement that time is a sword: if you do not cut it, it cuts you; their statement that if you do not keep your ego busy with truth it will keep you busy with falsehood; their statement that deprivation is immunity.

(bn al-Qayyim in his Madarij al-salikin (3:128) and al- Suyuti in his Ta’yid al-haqiqa al-`aliyya (p. 15)

2. Pluma

Pluma <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

Where is the problem?

Where did you see that Al-Shaafi'i said that we should sing while doing Tawaaf around graves?

3. Abubakr1

Abubakr1 New Member

So do you wanna tell us what did He(ra) meant by those statements..?:cool:

I mean clearly if a man says yeah lets break dance around graves..brother that's obvious that this individual is either a nut or a certified sufi lol...

I am not saying that Imam Al Shafi is a sufi...I just wanted a explanation on those statements..because where I live , there alot of Muslims who take his fiqh....

4. Sawtul Islam

Sawtul Islam <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

could you please give this quote in Arabic?

5. Pluma

Pluma <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

Well, there is good Soufis and bad "Soufis." TaSawwuf in the beggining was about dhikr, ihsaan, etc, not about break dancing around graves.

Like there is good salafees (following the salaf in everything) and bad "salafees." (I almost worship the king and I grow my beard. Do not forget the Saudi Qamis).

6. tawheedullah

tawheedullah <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

Isnad?

There are a lot of fabricated statements regarding Sufis (both for and against) attributed to the four Imams. They're all pretty spurious, as the Sufis were almost nonexistent as a group at their time. The Sufis really only started emerging as a distinct group around the time of Imam Ahmad, and his reactions were not favorable, even though these Sufis were much better than the Sufis of today.

7. Salamat

Salamat <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

8. Machher

Machher New Member

Dont forget about some of the statements clearly against sufism (specifically by name) Imam As-Shafi' has been quoted to have made. There are even some who quote him having sufi aqeedah, fabricating fatwa stating permissibility of bida' - kind of like al-fiqh al akbar with respect to Imam abu Hanifa, an entire book falsely attributed.

9. Abubakr1

Abubakr1 New Member

MACHHER : Dont forget about some of the statements clearly against sufism (specifically by name) Imam As-Shafi' has been quoted to have made. There are even some who quote him having sufi aqeedah, fabricating fatwa stating permissibility of bida' - kind of like al-fiqh al akbar with respect to Imam abu Hanifa, an entire book falsely attributed.

If Fiqh Al Akbar is falsely attributed to Imam Abu Hanifah..then who is it attributed to?