Important Importance of Verifying the Content of FW: 'Islamic' Emails

Discussion in 'Islam in General' started by Ismail Ibrahim, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Ismail Ibrahim

Ismail Ibrahim Formerly Harris Hammam

Salam

I don't think there is a thread in this regard.

This thread is dedicated for all those viral emails you get that have no references yet state that "the Prophet said this or did that" or "the Deen says this and that", etc.

This includes emails, pictures, attachments and everything that is sent in the name of the Deen.

I'm sure we are all spammed with such emails. Some of them are truthful, but 90% of the time, they are full of garbage.

Usually, at the end of such emails, you are instructed to forward it to 10 people. In some emails, it is mentioned that if you do not forward it, you will suffer with some sort of affliction.

Post all your FW: 'Islamic' emails here and have them checked out. If you are not lazy enough, use the quote facility to place the FW: email in, then follow it up with your own comments or questions/answers.

This thread has bene initiated in light of the Mutawaatir Hadith of the Prophet peace be upon him: "Whoever lies against me wilfully, he might as well take his place in the Fire", and the Hadith reported by Imam Muslim: "For a person, perpetrating a lie by conveying whatever he hears is sufficient".

May Allah give us all the Tawfeeq. Ameen.

2. Ismail Ibrahim

Any email without references is potentially a minefield from Hell.

Even if the content of such emails are true, one should still not forward them in protest of the lack of references.

Deen should not be portrayed as something cheap.

3. Ismail Ibrahim

Instead of forwarding such emails, one should reply back to the sender - and if possible CC: all of those whom the sender sent it to - with the request for references.

In this manner, this Bid'ah of forwarding emails without verification would be curbed to a great extent.

4. abul hafsa

abul hafsa formerly 'dragon'

This thread highlights a very important issue that is taken totally lightly by many muslims. Jazakallah akhi Harris.

5. Ismail Ibrahim

It seems from this email that every piece of anti-Islamic propaganda in the world is hidden and concealed Jewish conspiracy, and that Muslims need to be made aware of this hidden propaganda.

Yeh right.

All what this rubbish does is that it gives the Batil more publicity than it already has.

6. Ibn Saeed

Ibn Saeed Arabic = Key to Knowledge

Such emails are just a way for spammers to collect emails of Muslims.

Then they can sell those emails to potential clients for profit.

Its a regular email gathering tactic. To play with emotions

7. Scented Blood

Scented Blood Abu Peanut

Good stuff!

All we need now is one for those text msgs that people send!

8. Ismail Ibrahim

LOL. There is a another Bid'ah that is out and about: innovative Islamic text messaging on Eid day.

I just hate this unneeded 'modernisation' of Islam.

9. heart4allah

heart4allah New Member

how about those emails and texts that try to blackmail you:

If you LOVE Allah you'll forward this to 10 pple.

10. abuhannah

abuhannah Well-Known Member

Good thread mashAllah...

11. justabro

justabro Salafi (Retd.)

Just a quick note about this Hadith. It was reported by Muslim in his Muqaddima, where he does not observe the same rigorous standard as in his Sahih. Therefore, it is the custom of scholars when citing a hadith reported in the introduction, they reference it to the Muqaddima of Sahih Muslim lest it be mixed with the asl of the book. From what I recall, although it has a connected (muttasil) isnad, it also has mursal isnads, also mentioned by Muslim. Al-Daraqutni (in al-Tatabbu') concluded that these mursal narrations are the correct version. It seems to me that Muslim himself thought so as well and that was the reason he mentioned both versions. That said, Muslim followed it up with a number of shawahid from various Companions saying essentially the same thing.

12. Ismail Ibrahim

I am so sorry. I should have mentioned that it was from the Introduction of the Saheeh and not from the main Saheeh.

And that is a good point too: an academic must differentiate between the Intro and the Main of Saheeh Muslim.

Anyway. What the IA members should be doing is going through their INBOX to locate such emails that have been forwarded to them.

13. Ismail Ibrahim

Who is M. Amjad Khan? And where is this Medical Research Institute in the US?

Who is Liaqat and where is MA Consulting in the UK?

14. Ismail Ibrahim

Worthy of the dumpster.

15. abul hafsa

abul hafsa formerly 'dragon'

The above from Amjad Khan seems quite believable tbh. I don't know who he is yet though. I got the one below in an e-mail. The advice may be good, but it is attributed to the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam without any reference.

16. Ismail Ibrahim

17. Ismail Ibrahim

اختلط الحابل بالنابل والحق بالباطل
    Haqq and Batil are getting mixed up these days.

Unreferences emails should not be forwarded at all, even if the content or some of it is true.

18. Ismail Ibrahim

Ilhaam:
    FW: Allah (seriously you will have tears by the end)

Emotional blackmail at the end there... right?

19. Ismail Ibrahim

FW: What Angel Jibraeel Alaihisalam can't count

Nice Takhreej there.

20. Ismail Ibrahim

FW: Could You Forward An Email To Save Your Religion??

The only fool is the guy who created this email in the first place.