Life in Yemen; for a Somali

Discussion in 'Global Affairs' started by Hamza, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Hamza

Hamza Member

"...But if they seek your help in religion, it is your duty to help them..." (Surah al Anfal:Verse 72).

"Anyone who is aware of the weakness of the Muslims in the face of their enemy, knows that he can reach them and can assist them, it is also upon him to march forward." - Al Qurtubi
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  2. Abu Ma'mar

Abu Ma'mar New Member

Akhi the problem with the somali refuges in Yemen is a massive problem. There are more than 60,000 with the majority in San'aa.

With food prices going up and less jobs they are generating alot of xenophobia and are seen to be taking local jobs.

p.s could you remove the picture of the sister as she is not covered.
  3. Hamza

Hamza Member

Not pushing fault anywhere bro but there is a reason for escape from Somalia; and the help seems very little or not enough.

Yes I can understand that, sure their must be order, the surrounding muslim countries should start to show where this brotherhood is? but I cant help think this is what they say to Muslims in parts of the UK for example. They key objective should be how to remove the occupiers from somalia.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  4. Sad reality. But, not all of them arrived in Yemen recently. I know of many Somali families who have resided in Yemen for generations, so long that they are practically Yemenis.
  5. Salsabil

Salsabil Pro-Tawheed

la hawla wala quwata illa billah
  6. Layth

Layth Abu Shawarma

My father grew up in Yemen, and coming from North Somalia I have many family members and even sections of my clan/tribe that are basically Yemenis. Somalis settle in 'Aden and other parts of southern Yemen for the most part though.

The recent refugees are from the deep South where the Ethiopian troops are stationed so they know very little of Yemeni society.

But to be honest I don't blame the Yemenis since they themselves are the poorest amongst the Arabs. This article could've been named: "Life in Saudi Arabia, for a Yemeni" since there are many poor Yemeni kids who travel across the border to Saudi Arabia to be beggers. It is not fair to over-burden Yemenis with the problems of the Somalis. I also don't like the idea of people risking their lives on sea just to come to Yemen. I mean, it is understandable in extreme cases (eventhough it would be safer/easier just to relocate to a different part of Somalia, maybe the Northern Areas), but is it even islamic to risk drowning on sea when there are other options available? Their end-goal is usually to get to Europe or the US somehow. A huge percentage of them die on sea and those who make it usually end up living in the streets of Yemen. It's not just Somalis, many Ethiopian muslims are in "the same boat", so to speak.
  7. Abu Bakr as-Somali

Abu Bakr as-Somali <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

You just go to Mogadishu with your family for a day and then come back and talk about "other options"
  8. Layth

Layth Abu Shawarma

So Mogadishu is the only city in Somalia? Why not just stop at one of the hundreds of cities that they travel through on their way to Bosaso?

You mean to tell me you see nothing wrong with travelling from Xamar to Bosaso, paying hundreds of dollars to some shady smugglers (money that could've been spent more wisely) who sometimes dump these refugees in the sea, and risking ones life and the life of your familiy just so you can go to Yemen with the hope of eventually ending up in the West?? You mean to tell me thats their last resort?? You're forgetting that they started doing this way before the US-backed Habashi invasion.

I don't know about you, but the thought of a young sister travelling all that distance and risking to be raped, killed or to be dumped in the sea just so she can get to Yemen troubles me.

Akhi, this is about coming to Europe.
  9. Abu Bakr as-Somali

Abu Bakr as-Somali <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

Easy for you to say as you already live in the west, and there was war in Mogadishu a long time before the Ethiopian invasion.
  10. Layth

Layth Abu Shawarma

lol dude, you totally missed my point.
  11. Die for Allah

Die for Allah TIOCFAIDH AR LA

12. Layth

Layth Abu Shawarma

lol yeah we've totally invaded Birmingham I've heard.
  13. Die for Allah

Yes akhi you sure have, marhaba.

If you wach the vid in the link it shows sparkbrook and Small heath,these 2 areas are right next to each other but it seems the somalis in small heath are different to the ones in sparkbrook.

The ones in small heath are majority practicing muslims where as in spark brook they seem to be less so
  14. Layth

Layth Abu Shawarma

Jazaak Allahu Khayr, akhi. You seem to be an open-minded person who loves diversity.

Somalis are basically seperated into two groups: Those who value religion more than culture, and those who value culture more than religion. I think it's the same in most muslim communities, if you're a praciticing brother then of course you will prefer to be around people who are like-minded. So you will settle with your family in an area where people are serious about their religion, maybe close to the mosque etc..

The religious ones are usually those who are the least isolated from the general muslim community. I know for a fact that many religiously committed Somalis moved to B'ham for no other reason than that it is a city with a strong muslim community (same thing with those who moved to Leicester).

You guys should thank Allah because you have it better than muslims in many other places, especially in Scandinavia. UK muslims are a bunch of spoiled brats lol.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  15. Abu Ma'mar

Abu Ma'mar New Member

I used to go to Acton and there is a Somali community there. We used to play 5 a side. Really good brothers( apart from the fact that they all want to be striikers!)

Waziri you mentioned food have you ever tride the banana with rice?

I eat it once and now me and my little brother are hooked! lol
  16. Die for Allah

Lol akhi Ive seen them do that but never tried it myself though
  17. Abu Nihla

Abu Nihla New Member

Surprisingly, the Somalis can unite and be peaceful with each other (cross clan) i mean, when they are in foreign countries but when they go back to their own, they kill each other. The problem of racism is very real amongst the Somali and even inter-clan racism can be experienced even in foreign countries. In Kenya alhamdulillah they have taken over real-estate business but at the expense of clean business deals. They indulge in nepotism which i find not good at all. Sooner or later we might experience what we saw in South Africa.

They come with good things ( mosques, Islamic restourants, hotels, madaris, jilbab) e.t.c alhamdulillah and bad things wa riyadhu billah, prostitution is on the rise in Sana'a and hadhromout not fogetting eastligh in Nairobi Kenya thanks to them. In Kenya it was very hard to find Muslim prostitutes till they arrived. What can we do?

Am not agonizing but the Somali men need to take control over their misbehaving women.
  18. Layth

Layth Abu Shawarma

What the hell are you talking about you ignorant fool? "Misbehaving somali women"?? So all of a sudden we are a nation of hookers because a few dumb sluts (who for the most part dont give a damn about their Deen or their honor let alone the honor of their people) choose to prostitute themselves in Kenya?? Or are you saying that there are no "muslim prostitutes" (as you put it) from other nations?? People go to Lebanon, Morocco and many other socalled "muslim countries" for sex-tourism, and you're talking about "misbehaving Somali women"?? There are prostitutes from every nation in the world including the most conservative nations, so why are you singling us out?? There are prostitutes in Afghanistan of all places, but would it be fair of me to put the blame on the Afghanis as a people?? What type of a sick mentality would that be?

Alhamdulillah it is extremely rare to find Somali prostitutes except maybe in some isolated areas in Kenya and Djibouti, compare that to the number of Indian, Indonesian, Lebanese, Moroccan, Egyptian.... prostitutes and their availability in muslim lands let alone kaafir countries.

No one can honestly say that there are no prostitutes from his country. Judging an entire nation based on what you may have experienced in Kenya and a few other places is very stupid. This is not something which is widespread and Alhamdulillah for that.

You need to check yourself, sounds like you have something against Somali people. If so, then may Allah cure you of your disease.

There are many things you can use to criticize Somalis with some of which you already have mentioned such as tribalism. Prostitution is definately not one of them, and as a result of that we have one of the lowest HIV rates in the world.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  19. Abu Ma'mar

Abu Ma'mar New Member

Brother i have never seen any somali prostitution places in San'aa, if you could tell me where they are and inshaAllah i will get some Salafi brothers to raid them.
  20. Layth

Layth Abu Shawarma

Akhi, it's all bs. Maybe there are some who do it from the privacy of their homes without anyone knowing about it. But this guy is making it look like there is a Somali red-light district. And he is using that to portray us as an immoral people and basically a Dayooth nation with no control over their women.

Talk about blowing things way out of proportion.