Muhammad Al-Saffarini (d. 1188)

Discussion in 'Islamic Theology and Ideology' started by Expergefactionist, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Expergefactionist

Expergefactionist hmmm... Staff Member

His full name is: Muhammad b. Ahmad b. Salim b. Sulayman, al-Saffarini by birth, al-Nabulusi al-Hanbali

He was born and raised in Saffarin (pronounced Saffaareen), a village in Nabulus, Palestine in the year 1114/1702, where he learned the Quran.

He then travelled to Damascus and studied under a few notables, such as ‘Abd al-Ghani al-Nabulusi al-Hanafi, Shams al-Din al-Ghazzi al-Shafi’i.

He studied Fiqh, Hadeeth and Tafseer under ‘Abd al-Qadir al-Taghlibi al-Hanbali and Mustafa al-Labadi al-Hanbali and many others.

After having acquired a strong grounding in various sciences, he returned to his village, Saffarin, and after a short stay, left for Nabulus to reside therein.

He is described by his students as having a lofty character, an awe-inspiring personality who would frequently busy himself with Allah’s remembrance (adhkar) and regularly pray the night prayers (qiyam al-layl), encouraging others to do the same.

He was also very courageous when commanding the good and forbidding the evil, in line with the Hanbali tradition, such that he would not fear anyone. Rather, he would be feared and held in awe by the rulers and the commoners alike.

He was also known for his ascetic (zuhd) qualities, such that he would hardly hoard anything of the world except books, for he was an enthusiastic book collector, and that is reflected by his writings that are usually crammed full of quotes from various works.

He authored many books, wrote poems on various issues. Some of his works include:

Sharh (A commentary on) Thulathiyat al-Imam Ahmad. ‘Thulathiyat al-Imam Ahmad’ refers to those narrations of Imam Ahmad that only have three narrators between himself and the Prophet – SallAllahu ‘alaihi wa-sallam. Such chains are the shortest chains of Imam Ahmad, and of course, the shorter the chain, the stronger the Hadeeth. Short chains are also indicative of a person’s status in Hadeeth. A short chain is technically referred to as: Isnad ‘Aali (i.e. a higher chain)

Ghidha al-Albab, his commentary on Mandhumat al-Adab which we are currently studying

Kashf al-Litham, his commentary on ‘Umdat al-Ahkam, in Fiqh of Hadeeth

al-Durra al-Mudhiyya fi ‘Aqd al-Firqa al-Mardhiyya, which is the poem in creed we intend to study

Lawami’ al-Anwar al-Bahiyya, his own commentary on his own aforementioned poem on creed.

He died in Shawwal of the year 1188/1774 in Nabulus and was buried the same day.

2. ss4

ss4 Sister

Bismillah walhamdulillah,

asalamu wa alaykum

You know, I must say i've never heard of this Alim before, however this poem piqued my curiosity, especially since we are to learn Aqeedah lessons from it. I find it interesting indeed that we are going to get lessons in Aqeedah from classical peotry , Alhamdulillah. It's very exciting. He seems like an Alim who sought Ilm to teach it and not for fame or any other reason, and was what one can consider a true Zahid (reminds me of An Nawawi {RH}), insha'Allaah I hope that this summer insha'Allaah many of us who are taking these lessons really learn something od value and that well help us with our Islam and the importance of putting the time and serious effort in learning.

wa salamu alaykum

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  3. ss4

ss4 Sister

Bismillah walhamdulillah
    asalamu wa alaykum

Just wondering...are anymore lessons going to be posted soon?

Jazakhallah khair

4. Expergefactionist

InshaaAllah in a couple of days.

wasalam

5. Abu'l 'Eyse

Abu'l 'Eyse Rep-manz

As-sallamu 'alaikum

In light of the discussions of 'rotten apples and oranges', what is the status of Imaam as-Safarini amongst the hanabilah?

6. Expergefactionist

Well, what impression do you get after reading Rotten Apples and Oranges?

(btw, has the 'Hanbali' author of Apples and Oranges' retired? Where has he disappeared to?)

7. I believe he himself mentioned that he hasnt studied any of the major book sof the true hanaabila on the sufi forums, and hasnt made his presence since. he mentioned he followed the aqeedah of the asharee influence/sympathizing RizqAllah family from amongst the hanaabilah.

Q: Are there true hanaabilah still present in our time upon the asharee/kalaami aqaaid?? I heard they are in syria and shaam area...is thsi true???

allahu Alim

8. Abu'l 'Eyse

Abu'l 'Eyse Rep-manz

I ment from the point of view how some people try use his statements as being of tafweed etc

9. Expergefactionist

...and I too meant exactly from the same point of view.

50 pages or so of my rebuttal deals with just that, or so i thought :confused:

10. Abu'l 'Eyse

Abu'l 'Eyse Rep-manz

lol! I know alhamdulillah! , Let me ask another way:

what do the books of tabaqa say about Imaam as-safarini(rh) and his 'aqeedah?

and I have that work on Imaam ash-shawkani's 'aqedah excellent maasha'ALLAH however there are some issues of sifaat that was mentioned in another book on the small compilation of tafseer of sura nazi'at by the brother who translated the small pamphlet on Imaam ahmed's book on salah (i've forgotten his name)

11. Expergefactionist

Well, this is the point. The books of tabaqat do not suggest anything with respect to tafweedh and al-saffrini, the way they do not suggest anything with respect to affirming the literal meanings and Ibn Taymiyya.

Why? Because as far as the Hanbalis are concerned, there is no difference between Ibn Taymiyya and any other Hanbali with respect to the issue of Names and Attributes.

Yes, when there comes a Hanbali who differed with the mainstream Hanbalis, such as Ibn 'Aqil and Ibn al-Jawzi, the books on tabaqat do make note of it. This is why, shouldn't it make a person wonder, why Ibn al-Jawzi is censured for his views on Sifat - in the very books of tabaqat, while there is a deafening silence on Ibn Taymiyya?

If he hasn't studied any Hanbali work on creed (and perhaps even fiqh), on what basis does he claim to be a Hanbali.

Guess what? I can be a chemist, too. I know I have never studied pharmacy. But there you go! I am chemist!

As for his sympathies with 'Rizq Allah family', then as mentioned earlier, he does not know what he is talking about.

There is no such thing as 'Rizq Allah family'. There is the Tamimi family, and RizqAllah al-Tamimi was only a member of that family.

Not to mention that even Rizq Allah and the entire Tamimi family in bulk are grossly anthropomorphists according to his Ash'arite standard. And he could only know this if he had even read the work by Abul-Fadhl al-Tamimi in beliefs.

But this is the 21st century 'traditionalism'. Just brag about the ijazas on one hand, and on the other, pretend to be a Hanbali spokesman, and dupe the masses by writing a humiliating 'Oranges and Apples', without having read - let alone traditionally studied - a single book on creed.

If you ask me, this isn't a sign of a person with a healthy heart.

wasalam