Ramadhan

Discussion in 'Seasonal: Ramadan and Hajj' started by Umm Ahmed, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Umm Ahmed

Umm Ahmed 2C oursels as ithers C us

As salaamu'alaykum wurahamatulaah wabarakatu.

A reminder to myself and everyone that Ramadan is approaching InshaAllaah

Here is a check list of things I received in an E-mail, for your consideration before the month is upon us .

Have I improved in my character since last Ramadhan?

Have I improved in being a better believer since last Ramadhan?

Have I learned more about my strengths and weaknesses since last
    Ramadhan?

Have I read more Qur'aan since this year since reading it last Ramadhan?

Have I become closer to my Lord since last Ramadhan?

Have I learned more about my Lord since last Ramadhan?

Have I thanked my Lord more since last Ramadhan?

Have I put away some other things for the After Life since last Ramadhan?

Have I memorized more Qur'aan since last Ramadhan?

Have I learned more about my deen since last Ramadhan?

Only Allaah and you know the true answers to these questions, but just think, was that your last Ramadhan? there is still time to prepare for the upcoming blessed month.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
    AL BASAIR MEDIA likes this.
  2. Umm Ahmed

Please put all your articles questions ect in this thread , which will be a sticky InshaAllaah.

3. Abu Ibraaheem

Abu Ibraaheem Active Member

*How to Get the Best out of Ramadan**

*How to Get the Best out of Ramadan**

Assalam alaikum
    Just some tips to make the most out of our Ramadan and manage our time.

TIPS:

1. Clean up the time:

• Telephone: Try to minimize your chat on the telephone. If you are used to chat with your friends on a regular basis, try to make it short. Share with her the importance of this month & tell her that you want to devote yourself for Ibaadah in order to get the maximum reward in this month. Try to share with her these tips.
    • Cooking: Try to cook something simple during Ramadan as this is a month of Ibaadah & Quraan, not a month of food. There are some husbands who push their wifes to cook different varieties of food & sisters have to spend their time in the kitchen. If its very necessary, keep a tape of Quraan in the kitchen & listen to it while you are busy in Kitchen, or keep your toungue moist with the Zikr. [Try to find out some short cut & tips to prepare the food quickly]
    • Shopping: Try to get all your shopping done before Ramadan. Make a list of the things/grocery/ items, that is enough for one month & buy it all together.

Important: Try to do the Eid shopping NOW. The last ten days of Ramadan when we have to be doing more Ibaadah & spend our time in doing good deeds, most of the muslims are busy in doing shopping for Eid & their kids.

Sisters! These ten days, we has to exaggerate ourself in doing more ibaadah & to catch Laila-ul_qadr. Try to make this Ramadan a very different from all the previous ramadaans.
    • Dinner Party/Iftaar: Iftaar parties during ramadan are getting very common now. This is the Month for you sisters. we have the rest of the full year to do parties & to get socialize. Indeed its a great reward to break someone's fast but try to give food to people who are needy & poor. The prophet Sallalahu alaihi wasallam said,

Whoever gives food to a fasting person with which to break his fast, will have a reward equal to his, without it detracting in the slightest from the reward of the fasting person. (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, 3/171; Saheeh al-Targheeb, 1/451).
    • Sleeping: Cut less the time of sleep during this month. Its a month of Ibaadha, doing good deeds. Who knows this could be our last ramadan. try to reduce your sleeping hours. Its only one month & then you can get back to your normal routine.
    • Computer & Internet: this is my personal request.I am spending lot of time on the internet, though visiting Islamic sites & checking & sending emails. Try to spend less time on the internet.

*Now when we have cleaned up a big amount of time, lets schedule it for Ibaadhah.*
    1. Fard: Pray the Obligatory salah on time with Khushoo. Get yourself ready as soon as the salah comes in. Make duaa to Allah to give you Khushoo. & try to get rid of all the thoughts & waswaas that comes in the mind. Think of that you are standing infront of your LORD the Almighty.
    2. Sunnah: If you are already praying the 12 sunnah, continue them & add the 2 rak'ah of sunnah after Zuhr. [making them 14 altogether].

The prophet Sallalahu alaihi wasallam said, Whoever maintain 4 rak'ah before Zuhr & 4 rak'ah after zuhr, Allah will make the fire Haram on that person" [Ibn-Majah]

4 rak'ah before Asr: The prophet Sallalahu alaihi wasallam said, may Allah have mercy on him who prays 4 rak'ah before Asr". [Tirmidi]

Salah Al-Duha: Increase the no. of Rak'ah if you are already in a habit of praying salah al-Duha.
    3. Qur'aan: Ramadaan is the month of Quraan. Try to schedule it all the moments you have. If you are working, try to keep a pocket size Quraan with you & read it whenever you get the time,like, coffee break, lunch break, etc

Try to read with reflection. Read slowly in a beautiful voice & reflect on its meaning. Try to read this time, with translation & tafseer.
    4. Traweeh & Qiyaam-ul-lail: Try to read the traweeh in the mosque where the Imaam is doing long Qiyaam.
    5. Tahajjud: Try to get up little earlier to pray 2 rak'ah & make duaa. Its the best time for making duaa & accepntance of duaa.
    6. Du'aa: Write all the duaa you want to make for yourself, your children, family or any duaa that you want to make. Each day try to focus on duaa, & keep on repeating it throughout the day & at times when the duaa is accepted. Make duaa to Allah to give you Ikhlaas, khushoo, make duaa that you catch lailat-ul-Qadr. make duaa for the whole Ummah.

[repeat the duaa that are important to you,during the last ten days of Ramadan]
    7. Zikr: Select one zikr for a day & focus on it daily, reflecting on its meaning & thinking about its reward. [ get the Duaa book "Hisn-ul-muslim or hisn-ul haseen from any store]
    8. Charity: Try to give as much charity as you can, as the reward gets more during the month of ramadan. Give food to the poor & needy people & help those in need.
    9. Last 10 days: Double & triple the amount of Ibaadah you are doing during the last ten days of Ramadan. Sleep less & worship more.. pray as much as you can & make a lot of duaa.

4. Umm Ahmed

Ramadhan Moon

by Na'ima B. Robert

~

Ramadhan, the month of fasting,

Doesn’t begin all at once.

It begins with a whisper

And a prayer

And a wish.

As the month of Ramadhan approaches,

We search the sky for a sign.

Waiting,

Anticipating,

That silver sliver of brightness,

The shining white crescent

That is the Ramadhan Moon.

And when the new moon is seen,

What wonderful excitement!

The news spreads like wildfire

Through cities, towns and villages,

Across deserts and grassland,

Into each and every home.

And Muslims of every nation,

Of every age and every hue

Will join the celebration

Of the arrival of the moon:

“It’s here, Ramadhan is here,

The month of mercy has begun!”

And in mosque after mosque,

Of every shape and size,

Men, women and children

Will all stand up to pray.

The imam will recite the verses

Of the Book that was revealed

Hundreds

Upon hundreds

Upon hundreds of years ago.

So now, we all wake up to eat,

In the dark before dawn,

Sleepy mouthfuls for the day ahead

While the silent city sleeps.

Then Dad’s clear voice rings out,

Calling all of us to pray,

Our family bows, like one body,

Before the break of day.

In daylight, we feel hungry,

But at sunset, when we eat,

It makes us a little thoughtful,

A little humble,

And very grateful.

And each night, the moon grows fuller,

Like ripe and tender fruit,

Shining on houses filled with laughter

And mosques alive with prayer.

Each night they come, unfailing,

This seething congregation

To reflect on the words of their Lord

In silent celebration.

During the day, we keep busy

With all sorts of good deeds:

Our voices flow with the words of God

In unplanned harmonies.

We look for things to give away,

Collect money for charity,

Be kind and caring and polite,

Try hard not to get angry.

Now the Ramadhan moon is round and full,

A bright silver medallion,

But with a special, secret sorrow,

We see that half the month is gone.

We watch her as she wanes,

Losing a sliver every night

Until we reach the last ten days,

Those last days tinged with sadness,

Where we try to share more,

Pray more,

Do more,

And give more.

And we look for the Night of Power,

Better than a thousand nights.

That extra-special night,

When we ask for all that we desire,

Wishes upon wishes

And prayer upon prayer.

But then the last ten days become the last five,

The last four nights become the last three,

The last two,

The last…

And when the new crescent moon is seen

And the Eid day is announced,

The Muslim world rejoices

For our festival has begun.

For Eid there will be haircuts

And pretty henna patterns

And visitors

And brand new clothes that rustle as we walk.

And in the morning,

There will be the Eid prayer,

Charity for the poor,

Family and friends,

Parties and outings,

Sweets and treats and more…

But all that is tomorrow.

Tonight the city sleeps.

As I look out at the night sky,

My smile is bittersweet.

Goodbye, great month of mercy,

Hope to see you soon.

Please hurry back, my silver friend,

My beautiful Ramadhan Moon.

~

http://www.nbrobert.com

5. Umm Ahmed

Ramadhan Warriors
    Muhammad ash-Shareef
    As Ramadan is fast approaching, it would be good to take a few moments to reflect on what we are doing in preparation. In the weeks before the eruption of Jewish violence in Al-Aqsa, not too many people had any mention of Al-Aqsa on their tongues. When it happened, no one spoke about anything else. And now, when we receive emails about the Shaheed (in sha' Allah) Muhammad Durra and others, we delete it as if it is 'old news'. Dear brothers and sisters, we have to come back to our Deen and come back to Allah and change the situation of ourselves - then and only then will Allah change our situation
    read on...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  6. Umm Ahmed

The Goals of Fasting

The Muslim Creed (Vol. 9, Issue 10), Sha`ban 1422
    Published by The Daar of Islamic Heritage

The acts of worship that the Muslims practice seek to achieve certain goals and benefits that Allah wants His slaves to acquire knowledge in them and to comprehend and achieve them. Among these acts of worship is fasting during the lunar month of Ramadhan, which has several goals that the Muslims must strive to achieve with his heart and by his actions. These goals are as follows:

1. Achieving At-Taqwa, that is, the fear from Allah. Allah said, what translated means, "O you who believe! Observing As-Sawm (fasting) is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqun (the pious)." [2:183]. Hence, fasting is a means to achieve At-Taqwa. In fact, all acts of worship and Tawhid are methods and means to achieve At-Taqwa, as Allah has said, what translated means, "O mankind! Worship your Lord (Allah), Who created you and those who were before you so that you may become Al-Muttaqun." [2:21]

2. Acquiring the rewards of Allah. Al-Bukhari and Muslim narrated that Abu Hurayrah related to the Prophet, that he said, what translated means, "Allah the Exalted said, 'All the deeds of the son of Adam are his, except for As-Siyam, for it is Mine and I will reward for it.'"

3. The Prophet also said, "The Sa-im has two happy moments: when he breaks his fast he is happy, and when he meets his Lord he is happy because of his fast." [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]. About his saying, "When he breaks his fast he is happy," and Imam Muslim's addition, "Because of his breaking his fast," Imam Al-Qurtubi commented, "It means he is happy because his hunger and thirst have ended, since he is allowed to break his fast. This happiness is natural and this is apparently the desired meaning. It was also said that his being happy is because of his breaking the fast, means that he has fulfilled his fast, and as a culmination for his practicing the acts of worship. His saying, 'And when he meets his Lord he is happy because of his fast,' means he is happy because of the rewards for fasting and its complete awards.'"

4. As-Sawm purifies the soul and helps it acquire the habit of obeying Allah and His Messenger by defeating the desires of the heart. Fasting teaches refraining from following the desires because the soul of the Sa-im becomes obedient to Allah's commands. Also, Satan has a stronger hold over the souls that often obey the desires. When the soul abandons its desires, it will become more difficult for Satan to have a hold on the heart.

5. Being saved from the Fire, for the Prophet said, what translated means, "And Allah has those whom he frees from the Fire, and this occurs every night (meaning in Ramadhan)." [At-Tirmithi & ibn Majah]

6. Ash-Shafa`ah (the right of intercession). The Prophet said, "As-Siyam and the Quran will intercede on behalf of the slave. As-Siyam says, 'O Lord! I prevented him from food and obeying his desires in the morning. Therefore, accept my Shafa`ah on his behalf.' And the Quran says, 'I prevented him from sleeping at night. Therefore, accept my Shafa`ah on his behalf,' and they will be accepted as intercessors.'" [Ahmad, Al-Hakim & Al-Bayhaqi].

7. Having the sins forgiven. There is no doubt that fasting directs to having one's sins forgiven and erased. The Prophet said, "The five prayers, and from Friday to the next Friday, and Ramadhan to the next Ramadhan, are erasers for what occurs between them, as long as major sins are avoided." [Muslim]. Also, the Messenger of Allah said, what translated means, "Whoever fasts Ramadhan with Iman and Ih.tisab, will have his previous sins forgiven." [Al-Bukhari & Muslim]. Imam Ahmad and An-Nasaii added the following to the above narration, "And also what will occur later on (meaning future sins, as well)." "With Iman" entails fasting while believing with the heart in the obligation of fasting during Ramadhan. As for Ih.tisab, it means that one anticipates the reward and his fasting is therefore only for the sake of Allah and not to imitate his people and community or for any other worldly gain.

7. MosDef

MosDef Member

Ramadhan: Eruption Upon Eruption
    'Umar 'Abdur-Rahman

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Alhamdulillah was Salatu was Salamu 'ala Rasoolillah[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    O Youth of Islam in every corner of the earth, we are receiving the month of Ramadan. We are to receive wonderful nights and prosperous days, and we will encounter in it exuberant and dashing Iman, which fills the heart and outpours upon the limbs, and we will encounter taqwa of ALLAH: SO THAT YOU MAY ATTAIN TAQWA ; taqwa which is the sensitivity in the hairs and the alertness of the conscious. So fasting takes us to the ultimate grades of taqwa through zuhd (abstinence) and piety after we have reached, through the other ibadat, to the initial grades of taqwa through moderation and steadfastness. And when all the wajibat (obligations) have born fruit from taqwa: restraint from evil prohibitions, then taqwa itself bears fruit from fasting; broader and more encompassing, since it teaches us how to refrain from some halal and mubah (permissible) and from the necessities of life.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    HERE

Ramadhan for me doesnt feel the same without reading this amazing article by Shaykh Umar - May Allah hasten his release. Ameen
    [/FONT]

8. MosDef

MosDef Member

Reaping the benefits of Ramadan

Dr. Ali Al-Timimi

In the month of Ramadaan it is very important that we spent a few moments to understand some of the wisdoms and lessons that we can learn from this month of fasting. Unfortunately, many Muslims come in to this month and they are as a companion of the Prophet, peace be upon him, said: "Let it not be that the day that you fast and the day that you break fast be equal." Meaning, one's behaviour, attitude and outlook are the same whether one fasts or not, i.e. fasting has no effect upon that person. This is why we need to reflect on some of these lessons.

LESSON 1: Gaining Taqwaa

Allaah legislated fasting for gaining taqwaa, "O you who believe, fasting has been prescribed upon you as it has been prescribed upon those before you, so that you may attain taqwaa." (meaning of SoraatulBaqarah (2):183) Taqwaa in this case means to make a shield between oneself and Allaah’s anger and Hellfire. So we should ask ourselves, when we break our fasts, ‘Has this fasting day made us fear Allaah more? Has it resulted that we want to protect ourselves from the hellfire or not?

Here

9. Umm Ahmed

Baraak Allaahu Feek .

10. Yasir

Yasir لك الله يا مهبط الوحي

11. Umm Ahmed

Nice article Yasir, JazakAllaahu Khayran

Ramadaan: Leader of all Months

In the name of Allaah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
    All praise is due to Allah Who made the succession of day and night a lesson for those who reflect. I thank him for his bountiful blessings and I testify that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allaah. I equally testify that Muhammad is His Servant and Messenger. May peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him, his household and companions who are the people of righteousness and piety.

Dear brothers and sisters, It should be known that physical and spiritual felicity can only be attained by subjecting ones heart and body to the worship of Allaah and that it is through worshipping Allaah in complete sincerity that this world can be of no importance.

Dear brothers and sisters, it is a manifestation of Allaah's mercy on His slaves that He ordained fasting for them in order to purify them from excessive tastes and to cleanse their hearts from lustful things. These days, Muslims all over the world are receiving the month of Ramadaan; leader of all months; the month of forgiveness, merits and gifts; the month that gladdens the hearts of righteous people. No wonder that a pious man said in his death bed giving a reason for his weeping:

"I am only weeping for the fact that people will continue to be fasting and performing prayers after my death while I will no longer be in a position to do likewise."

Leader of all Nights
    Ramadaan is the month that contains the leader of all nights; a night that is better than a thousand months. Whoever spends the night in prayers with faith and hoping for Allaah's reward will have all his past sins forgiven. Rasulullah sws said:
    "When the month of Ramadaan enters, gates of Paradise are opened, gates of Hell are closed and devils are chained." (Reported by Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim).

Its time for night prayers
    Dear brothers and sisters, whoever wants eternal prosperity should endeavor to worship Allaah and do good deeds sincerely. For, good deeds without sincere intention is of no use. Also, it is a glory for a believer to wake up in the night and perform prayers for, the best prayer after the obligatory ones are the prayers performed in the night. In fact, righteous people do compete with each other to make use of its darkness for doing acts of Ibaadah that bring them closer to Allaah and they loved this world only because of its nights. Aboo Sulaymaan Ad-Daaraanee said:
    "By Allaah! If not because of waking up in the night and performing prayers, I would not have loved this world; for, the night is precious because of its darkness and performing the prayers during the night is one of the characteristics of righteous people."

Al-Hasan Al-Basree said:
    "Nobody abandons night prayers except that it is regarded as a punishment for a sin he has committed."

Supplication: a link
    You should also endeavor to supplicate to Allaah during the nights of this noble month because, supplication is the link between man and his Lord; it is an effortlessly clear profit and easy booty; it prevents calamities and brings forth Allaah's treasures and bounties. By supplicating to Allaah during the night, He answers by granting the request generously for, His Hands never get tired of giving.

Qur'an : The best speech
    There is no way to Allaah's pleasure except through Qur'an. It is revealed in the best of all months. The best way you can spend your time during this month is to recite the Qur'aan as frequently as possible. Read it, reflect on its meaning and work by its injunctions. This is because the Qur'aan contains admonitions and lessons that increase one's humility and humbleness.

Increase your ranks
    As regards charity, Rasulullah sws was the most generous of all people and his generosity manifested most during the month of Ramadaan. Whenever he gave, he gave in plenty as if he had no fear of poverty. He would never be asked of anything except that he gave it unless if he did not have it.

Charity, has its positive effects on the giver. It causes blessings to his wealth and children, prevents calamities and brings forth bliss. Ramadaan is a month of charity.

Ibnul-Qayyim said:
    "Nothing brings Allaah's blessings and prevents His punishment than obeying Him, moving closer to Him through acts of Ibaadah and being kind to His creatures."

Therefore, spend in charity for, charity elevates one's rank in front of Allaah and know that, man is going to stay under the shade of his charity on the Day of Resurrection.

Repentence
    Dear brothers and sisters, make good preparation for this honorable month because it is a transient visitor. Receive it with a sincere repentance and spend your time during the month is acts of obedience to your Lord.
    Increase you Reward.

Further, try to perform 'Umrah during Ramadaan for, a 'Umrah during Ramadaan is equivalent in reward to a Hajj performed with the Messenger of Allaah. Also, provide food for fasting Muslims for whoever does that gets an equivalent of their reward without causing any deduction to the reward of the fasting Muslims.
    Follow the Sunnah I'tikaaf (seclusion in a mosque for the purpose of worshipping Allaah alone) is also a Sunnah that should be kept during the last ten days of Ramadaan. Ibn Shihaab said:
    "It is a strange thing that Muslims should abandon I'tikaaf while the Messenger of Allaah e never skipped it right from the time he entered Madeenah until his death."

Join the Cord
    Use the period of this noble month to join the cord of kinship (by keeping good relations with your kith and kin). Also repent sincerely to Allaah as long as the door of repentance is still open. Be cautious of undesirable end because leaving this world is actually painful.

12. Umm Ahmed

Ramadhan Booklet.

Attached Files:

13. Abu Ibraaheem

I was sent this in an email. Its a Ramadan Checklist

Attached Files:

14. anonymouse

anonymouse <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

15. Umm Ahmed

I want to print that out , sorry this is going to sound as though I am thick , but do I zoom and make it bigger then print , or just print as it is . and will it be big enough ?

16. Abu Ibraaheem

InshaAllah if you print it should fit on a A4 page.

17. Yasir

Yasir لك الله يا مهبط الوحي

Source: AE

18. Umm Ahmed

Excellent , JazakAllaahu khayran.

19. Abu Ibraaheem

wa iyyaki.

20. ryder

ryder New Member