Important Save Maryam

Discussion in 'Identity, Activism and Unity' started by Bint Mahmood, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Bint Mahmood

Bint Mahmood Well-Known Member

Assalaamu Alaykum

I saw this posted elsewhere and thought it was really interesting and a brilliant incentive mashaallah, may Allaah make it successful. Please share it inshaallah so others know about it.

[video=youtube;6E9NcbVa4FU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E9NcbVa4FU&feature=g-all-lik[/video]

I know it says there's no music but there are some instruments that play here and there throughout the video, just thought I'd let you know.

Wassalaam.

2. wurood

wurood ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿

they said "no music" in the video but there was music!! if they don't even know how to make a proper islamic video how are we to trust them with our money? I think this video might be a scam, it has the same style as the viral campaign "KONY 2012" propaganda, Allahu alim :/

3. Bint Mahmood

Yeahh I understand what you are saying. Allahu Alam, I did point out what you said but I am not sure if I would render the whole video as a scam (just yet - seeing as I don't see sufficient evidence to suggest that...).

EDIT: it is a totally different organization than Invisible Children (aka the Kony 2012 campaign). This is run by Mercy Mission UK.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
    wurood likes this.
  4. wurood

wurood ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿

yea it's always good to research about the organization first, just to be on the safe side!

5. Bint Mahmood

Of course. Jazakallah khair for the reminder ya ukhti :) I think it's now safe to say that it's not a scam inshallah ;)

6. خالد

خالد New Member

Wa Aleikum Salaam.

I'm pretty sceptical about this video. Some issues:

-The video quotes an International Crisis Group report to back its statistics up. I skimmed through the mentioned report and I did not find any data indicating the video's claims. By the way, the report came out in 2010 not in 2012 as the video mistakenly claims.
    -Christians praying and crosses are shown too many times. Also the slogan 'Jesus Loves You' came up a few times. There is no negative spin on Christianity.
    -What kind of a message do 'approximately 2 million Muslims leave Islam every year' billboards and posters send out?
    -Why is Maryam wearing a cross necklace in their logo? Why incorporate a symbol of Shirk in your logo?

I think these are the individuals behind the campaign: Mehedi Islam, Mohammed Ali and Shamsul Hoque. If anyone is on Twitter, you can ask them my questions.

7. Umm DJ-N

Umm DJ-N Patience

Asalamu alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu

I think we ought to be careful inshAllah, but don't let this be a trick from Shaytan so that you keep your money to yourself, give it to some charity you trust.

Abu'l 'Eyse and Bint Mahmood like this.
  8. Bint Mahmood

Wa alaykum salaam

Yeah you're right. I'm just confused because Mercy Mission are the same organization that apparently run things like Pure Matrimony and the Al-Kauthar institute etc. Allahu Alam.

Jazakallah Khair :)

9. herban_02

herban_02 New Member

Asalaamu Alaykum,

I was a bit skeptical to be begin with until I saw it was an initiative by Mercy Mission, but when I went over to Mercy Mission website to confirm there is no mention, or I simply can't find it.

However there is a Facebook page by the name of Mercy Mission Malaysia which is advertising the Save Maryam campaign

http://www.facebook.com/MercyMissionMalaysia

Also the donation is setup with justgiving.com and the charity funds says it is going to Mercy Mission UK

https://www.justgiving.com/donation/sponsor?process=2&queryId=cABhAGcAZQA9ADQAMgAwADkANQA2ADcA

Abu'l 'Eyse likes this.
  10. Rasmalai

Rasmalai Well-Known Member

Mercy Mission is indeed a legitimate organisation. It's a good initiative, but ruined by the poor PR, lack of cohesive communication (Mercy Mission not placing the campaign on their website) and above all, I think it's a bit unoriginal and uncreative to just rehash a video in the same style as those ludicrous KONY 2012 videos.

11. Abu Hurairah

Abu Hurairah Well-Known Member

I know these brothers and they're good guys, no conspiracy theories here. They run a design company called The Play Studio and were no doubt hired by Mercy Mission to do this.

Email them your questions.

Layth likes this.
  12. خالد

خالد New Member

Shokran. I just emailed them now. If I get any answers, I will post them here.

13. Bint Mahmood

Apparently the people running the campaign are on Ramadan TV at the moment, if anyone has been watching please let us know if they've mentioned anything worth sharing.. jazakallah khair

14. خالد

خالد New Member

This is the response I got:

Walykumasalam Warahmatullah,

JazakAllahu khair for your query, the Save Maryam campaign is a project of Mercy Mission to save the youths of Indonesia from leaving Islam.

The brothers and sisters are working hard to clear all the doubts and questions through their platforms, including LIVE on Ramadan TV. Please tune in to Sky channel 843.

The Play Studio was responsible for designing the campaign and has been instructed to refer all the queries relating to Save Maryam to Mercy Mission directly, Insha'Allah.

I emailed Mercy Mission. Let's see what we get from them.

I'm watching it here right now.

wurood and Bint Mahmood like this.
  15. Umm DJ-N

Umm DJ-N Patience

Asalamu alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu

that was a quick reply!

anyways mercy mission=tawfique chowdhury=al kauthar=pure matrimony and don't forget this is MunafiqMatters' tawfique chowdhury who back in 09 gave a speech :

http://muslimmatters.org/2009/02/09...ural-allies-in-fighting-scourge-of-terrorism/

to which Shaykh Anwar (rh) wrote a very good refutation:

http://www.kavkazcenter.com/eng/content/2009/05/24/10708.shtml

So yeah, I wouldn't go near him with a bargepole

He is ALWAYS pumping al kauthar, he is like a walking talking advertising machine. Even something completely unrelated, he manages to bring al kauthar into it. CocaCola should forget about being Olympic sponsors, just hire Tawfique Chowdhury and their sales will rocket!

16. herban_02

herban_02 New Member

Asalaamu Alakykum,

I believe we need to look past Mercy Mission as a person i.e. Tawfique Chowdhury but rather as an organization, we cannot discredit the fact that they do tremendous work in the community with their charity based projects. I am not saying don't disagree with the Sheikh on his stance in matters of Walaa and Baraa and matters pertaining to jihad, but don't bring down a whole organization based on that.

I believe if you were to research into the matter further you would find that funding of Mercy Mission comes from Alkauthar Institute, who also run great courses in Fiqh related matters

And Allah knows best

17. Layth

Layth Abu Shawarma

Not everyone at Kauthar agrees with TC and I remember some of the teachers came out strong against him.

18. Abul Hasan

Abul Hasan Aim High.

I'm assuming this is legit because Tawfique Chaudry himself is answering questions on Save Maryam's facebook page.

You might as well ask him directly (if you have facebook) and be done with it.

Wild Wild West and Layth like this.
  19. خالد

خالد New Member

I'm not on Facebook either. If anyone here is, you can ask this question if you want:

The video quotes an International Crisis Group report to back its statistics up. I've gone through the mentioned report and I did not find any data indicating the video's claims. Could you point out where the report says what the video claims?

I'm sure the campaign is legit (I myself watched it on Ramadan TV; Hamza Tzortzis was there). I just want proof for the 'approximately 2 million Indonesian Muslims convert to Christianity every year' claim. I went through the report but didn't find anything.

20. Abul Hasan

Abul Hasan Aim High.

Someone already asked a similar question to him:

His reply:

And here it is on MercyMission's website: Mercy Mission World | Save Maryam – Action Plan

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012