small talk at a walimah

Discussion in 'Helpers' Corner' started by Aishah, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Aishah

Aishah New Member

Asalamu alaikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh

Hope you are fine inshAllah..

What would be the best topic (to be covered in 30 mins) for a talk in a wallimah ?
  2. Turaabie

Turaabie It is as it should be.

Wa 'Alaikum as-Salaam wa-Ramatullaah.

The Rights of the Wife. =)
  3. Expergefactionist

Expergefactionist hmmm... Staff Member

A Shaykh with good sense of humour was once asked to give a short lecture about marriage at a wedding, so he said:

Well, don't you think people get bored of listening to a lecture about marriage every single wedding party they go to?

How about if we talk about divorce for a change?
  4. Umm Ahmed

Umm Ahmed 2C oursels as ithers C us

That's nice , I've never been to a walima where anyone gives a talk.
  5. Expergefactionist

That's strange...

in the UK, nearly every Walima comes with a lecture, and nearly all of these lectures are about marriage.
  6. Umm Ahmed

Umm Ahmed 2C oursels as ithers C us

They serve the food , you say mabrook to the bride then thats it . I also dont go to many weddings because of all the music.
  7. Umm

Umm New Member

We went to a nikah once, and the talk went on for a good hour! My husband considered asking the brother if he is waiting to be paid in order to stop talking.

Short and sweet is the key.

Try not to have it on the standard boring walimah talks. Will post some suggestions later insha'Allah.
  8. justabro

justabro Salafi (Retd.)

My cousin married a tahriri brother in Pakistan. At the walima, his uncle gave a talk about "the need for khilafat."
  9. Niqaabis

Niqaabis Sadiyah Bint as-Seenee

wa 'alaikum as salaam

usually you'll find many non practicing muslims attend weddings so its important to try and give them da’wah

something about the purpose of our creation/our goal in life show them getting married is an act of Ibaadah and a means for us to attain jannah

something along those lines maybe
  10. Wayfarer

Wayfarer New Member

That's an easy link to make...marriage --> society --> khilafa

Having said that a tahriri could turn a lesson on how to bake a cake into a khilafa talk.

"If we had a khilafa we wouldn't need to check all our food products with the latest "halal 2007 booklet"!"
  11. ibnfaruk

ibnfaruk New Member

Salams to all, Why not talk about food, and how much we waste on such occasions. We are good at 'stuff init ' or 'waste init' what about thanking the One who gave it.

FREE PALESTINE. hope,fear and love

weddings r so boring,,, in ourz its always the same.. hmm never heard a lecture though... subhan allah jus loud music panting... they r supposed 2 be segregated, but somehow the men still sneek in... so yup dont like weddings..
  13. Expergefactionist

Yes... I hate that. There is a wedding hall with clear partition, men on the right and women on the left. I don't know what makes some men think they can simply get up, peek into the other side, stare at all the women who have taken off their niqabs, just to look for their own family!

I *really* hate when this happens.
  14. Umm

Umm New Member

"I'm looking for my wife" that is always their lame excuse for peeping.
    Looking for the next one, more like.
  15. Abu Dharr Al Kashmiri

Abu Dharr Al Kashmiri إني أحبك في الله ♥♥♥

No boxed gifts please!:rolleyes:

Or they pretend they have a baby who needs to find its mother and thus stare at as many women as they can in the process!

Well what about the cameramen too? Who allows these greasers to go into the womens area and film the women?
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  16. Skillganon

Skillganon The Serial Repper

I hope you don't mind me saying this,

Although their may me occasoan when someone did not know the proper ettiqutte and are honest with their reason, but usually those men that go into the women section are usually perverts.

FREE PALESTINE. hope,fear and love

it shud be kept simple... weddings nowadays subhan allah i know ppl who take out loans.. and most of what they do comes from the stupid indian culture anyway.. and the walimah is like 5-6 hourz....

i remember goin 2 a walimah and a ice cream van came... it was so funny he made his money 2.. so i think instead of takin out loans call down an ice cream van...:D
  18. Umm

Umm New Member

Oh, that is tight. The guests shouldn't pay for the ice-cream. We went to a walima years ago with an ice-cream van, but the groom paid for it all in advance. It's a nice idea.
  19. Umm Waraqa Bluebell

Umm Waraqa Bluebell kalimat al-ikhlaas

Lol and thats exactly what the shaikh did at my walimah. Talked about divorce and non muslims. I was NOT a happy bunny...nor were the non muslims who attended (some even walked out!)

30 mins is far too long for a speech, it should be kept short and sweet.
  20. Aishah

Aishah New Member

Jazakumullahu khair for all the help..