Someone who calls himself as a 'scholar' ?

Discussion in 'Islam in General' started by Abu'l-Husayn, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Abu'l-Husayn

Abu'l-Husayn قارئ المختار

Assalamu 'alaykum,

I feel weird when someone on Twitter, Facebook and other avenues calls himself as an Imam, Shaykh and so forth?

Perhaps it is OK to refer to oneself as a scholar if one is identifying themselves to a gathering in the Masjid before the lecture?

Does anyone feel uneasy as well with regards to this?

2. al-Qanun

al-Qanun أمريكي

wa 'alaykum as-salam

means leader and shaykh means old man. they are titles of respect. in reality we all have knowledge and fiqh, just some more than others. this is why people may use these labels to show respect to those whom they believe have more knowledge than them.

it's not necessary that they have to have any formal education and what not, to be called shayukh or 'aimmah. yet i do find it strange when people address themselves with these labels. seems like the fame has gone to their heads. are you talking about Al-Maghrib by any chance?
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  3. Abu'l-Husayn

Abu'l-Husayn قارئ المختار

The common Muslim holds these titles to be as scholars despite them having some other meanings, so in this context, I feel uneasy as if that they are betraying the reality with the common folk.

I am not referring to al-Maghrib specifically, just the Darul Uloom grads, the 'Imams', 'Shaykh' calling themselves in their description boxes on Twitter and FB etc, as 'Shaykh. Husband. Mufti. etc'

It feels that it comes from some sort of fame yet I cannot judge them because I don't know what is in their hearts. But these are all that seem junior guys compared to senior 'ulama.
  4. Black Turban

Black Turban New Member

Scholars in arabic is ahbar. Anyone can call themselves scholar, mufti or whatever. These are not honorary titles. Allah says majority of the scholars eat haram and are astray. But if someone calls themselves or others alim or ulema. That is haram. Since Allah has prohibited attributing purity to oneself. Since only those who fear Allah from amongst Allah's slaves are ulema. So the knowledge of who is alim is only with Allah. And we cannot go around calling people ulema or alim. That is the sharia meaning.
  5. خالد

خالد New Member

Not forgetting:

Every muslim is a mujtahid. Link

6. Umm Sayyid Qutb

Umm Sayyid Qutb تعس عبد الدينار

7. Black Turban

Black Turban New Member

Are you a mushrika? That would explain why you dont understand what i said.
  8. Black Turban

Black Turban New Member

Yes that is what the prophet said. Everyone can do ijtihad. But your shayateen say only certain individuals can be mujtahid.
  9. خالد

خالد New Member

I've found some friends for you. Here.
    JustAnotherAnas likes this.
  10. Black Turban

Black Turban New Member

You cannot even prove me wrong. Because what i said is from Islam and not from your shayateen. So there is no need to reply to me with your coward tactics.
  11. Black Turban

Black Turban New Member

If you want to prove ijtihad is not for everyone. Please show an ayah or a sahih hadith that say such a thing. Otherwise you are only inventing news beliefs and saying it is Islam. Like your brothers the jews. They would make up a belief and say this is from Allah.
  12. abuhannah

abuhannah Well-Known Member

Don't try and bully a sister.
  13. خالد

خالد New Member

No one can. You're the last Muslim left standing. A leg-end.
  14. Abdul Malik

Abdul Malik New Member

Black Turban, can you please name one scholar alive today who agrees with your beliefs on islam?

All that mumbo jumbo you were saying in your earlier posts "calling yourself a scholar or alim is haram" .. "Ijma is evil bid'ah"

YOu claim we need to follow the hadith of the prophet(saws) . Ok Agreed..
    Ok the scholars who have made the HADITH of the prophet(saws) accessible to you, who have graded it , who are actually the transmitters of the hadith amongst the Tabi'oon etc.. They don't agree with your way of thinking, none of the salaf did.

How do you even know a hadith is saheeh? You make taqleed of Bukhari/Muslim, and they believed in Ijma and half the things you claim are deviance, So you trust them to transmit hadith of the prophet(saws) to you?
    It would be more rational for someone with your way of thinking to be a Quranist, which I am starting to believe you are one !!!
    'Umar likes this.
  15. abuhannah

abuhannah Well-Known Member

Iqwah,str8 up I don't even think this person is a Muslim.way to many holes in what they say..
    'Umar likes this.
  16. خالد

خالد New Member

He doesn't believe in the concept of scholarship in the first place. Tried this before.

This is very interesting:

Pretty much every hadith giant... So you are comparing small timers like al-albani who were not even scholars to giants like al-Bukhari, Muslim and al-uqayli... Link

That post contradicts a lot of his beliefs.

I predicted that he'll end up like that (link). Allahu'Alam.
    Abdul Malik likes this.
  17. Black Turban

Black Turban New Member

What sister? the loony who thinks shes the mother of a guy who died several decades ago?
  18. Black Turban

Black Turban New Member

typical coward.
  19. ahmad10

ahmad10 حسبي الله ونعم الوكيل

Narrated By Abdillah Ibn Amr Ibn 'Aas (radiallahu 'anhu) he said: I heard the Prophet (Salallahu alaihi wa sallam) say :"Allah does not take away knowledge by taking it away from the hearts of the worshippers. But he takes knowledge by taking away the Ulama (Scholars) until there are hardly any scholars then the people will take ignorant leaders and they will be asked questions and they will give rulings without knowledge so hence they go astray and lead others astray."

(Bukhari and Muslim)
    leo and خالد like this.
  20. خالد

خالد New Member

I'm normally not a coward but in front of you... What I am but a kitten in front of a lion?