the word ameen?

Discussion in 'Quranic Sciences' started by destinyfate86, May 14, 2009.

1. destinyfate86

destinyfate86 New Member

What does ameen literally mean and how and where did it originate from? I'm taking a cultural anthropology class and what it says in the class text is surprising(if it's even true)

2. It is originally a Syrianic word that literally means 'I acknowledge and firmly believe,' and is used in the Old (and I believe the New) Testament. It sounds the same in Arabic because both are Semetic languages.

In the context of supplication, al-Qurtubi mentioned that some thought it was one of Allah's Names (through a weak narration from Ibn 'Abbas); some say it means 'let it be this way'; some say it is to strengthen the supplication and cause blessings to descend; at-Tirmidhi said it means 'do not betray our hopes.'

However, the majority of scholars said that it simply means 'O Allah, respond to our supplication.' ​

3. destinyfate86

destinyfate86 New Member

In my text book Amen was said to have been an old Egyptian god..

4. Abu Ubaidallah

Abu Ubaidallah New Member

lol wasnt that amun
    perhaps a variational spelling of amun is amen but even if that had been the case the text books assertion is terrible
    i dont see how there could be any link between an ancient egyptian diety and a word uttered to strengthen supplication
    just another example of secularists trying to strengthen their stranglehold

5. destinyfate86

destinyfate86 New Member

yeah..i think my book is basically trying to say that religion is man made.

6. Sharif

Sharif Transient Traveler

On the dictionary on my computer is says:

Amen is also the name of an Egyptian god, but that doesn't have any etymological connection with the Hebrew 'amen' or Arabic 'ameen'.

According to Wikipedia:
    It then goes to state:

AbuMjhdh likes this.
  7. Towhid

Towhid New Member

assalamu 'alaikum
    i m a new member of this forum Al'hamduliLLAH.
    Can you please refer to the Books or sources? @Detainee...