US Muslims and East Coast Power Cuts

Discussion in 'Global Affairs' started by Wild Wild West, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Wild Wild West

Wild Wild West لا تعتذر اليوم

BBC News - US storm-hit millions lack electricity amid heatwave

For those Americans who are against their countries unjust foreign policy, you have my sympathy.

For those who are not - including the many Muslims who I see tweeting 'may Allah bring back our blessing' type tweets - I have none. Sorry, but that is just the way it is.

Where were you guys when your army bombed power stations and sewage plants in Iraq and Afghanistan, leaving the populations there in utter misery?

What goes around, comes around. If you want your blessings back and be permanent, please start speaking out about the injustices of your own government.

2. IbnJ

IbnJ New Member

Salaam Alaikum

You have a good point brother- if our American brothers and sisters do not speak out against their governments injustices, they cannot expect the same blessings as those who do. Inshallah more of them will stand up for the rights of our Ummah everywhere, and not sit silently like cowards waiting for Allah swt to help them.

[​IMG]

3. wurood

wurood ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿

it's rare to ever see a Muslim speak out bravely against the injustices that the US government is responsible for, it's mostly due to lack of practicing muslims who are aware of the situation of ummah is another reason, but the main reason is FEAR of consequences that come with speaking haqq, that can very easily get you into jail here these days, the American muslim has no security or rights ultimately, thus most will either not get involved in standing up for their fellow brothers and sisters, and others will just condemn actions of standing up against the kuffar as "unislamic".

4. mahmud87

mahmud87 New Member

Asallam alaykum, there are too many in the west that are sitting and doing nothing, enjoying the comforts that the kuffar provide that appeases them....many are not taking into account that their brothers and sisters in the Ummah are doing without these same comforts because the kuffar are systematically taking them away..B

Although I see what you guys are saying, I feel slightly offended....

brother WWW, you asked where was I? It's almost as if you are taking a hot branding iron to my flesh and reminding me of my past sins before I reverted...actually it was that very oppression that opened my eyes!!!!

And brother IbnJ, many are sitting quietly because to speak out gives you a one way ticket to Guantanamo! We cannot be heard from the kuffar prisons....and really if we do "speak out", those that make the decisions wil not pay any attention to us at all....so, brother, would you say that I am a coward?

abdullahjan547 and walid like this.
  5. UmmAyaah

UmmAyaah New Member

Sis bint-al-jaidi,

i've seen instances of both of these situations. its a tense situation here and most muslims don't see it as such. they go about living their lives as if the American government is going to protect them. and we all know better than that.

Wild Wild West likes this.
  6. wurood

yea sis I live here too, so I'm saying what I noticed so far, subhan Allah I don't know if the muslims here are just naive or just avoiding the reality their state, it's getting worse and worse each year, with imams and speakers diluting Islamic fundamentals for fear of being labeled radicals. Doesn't it feel like most muslims here have sold their aqhirah for the dunya? I don't mean to sound judgemental of them or pessimistic, but it is real issue for the muslims in America if one observes carefully.

7. striving4akhirah

striving4akhirah New Member

The best thing for Muslims in America to do is remain silent and take care of their families. There is no harm in activism but as long as it's not even close to being illegal. As far as the heat is concerned, I live in a city which sees 100+ F temps with extreme humidity from July-September. We've even seen some 100 degree days in June so I'm not looking forward to the next few months. Alhumdulilah, we have had no power outages where I live but we are very prone to getting hit by Hurricanes which could leave us without power for weeks.

wurood likes this.
  8. wurood

yes you are right brother, we just need to stay silent and take care of oyr families, because speaking out is too dangerous anymore. But atleast muslims can acknowledge and condemn the injustices in their hearts. Also become better muslims by learning their deen instead of following the ways of the kuffar in everyday life.

striving4akhirah likes this.
  9. striving4akhirah

I completely agree. Muslims should always acknowledge and condemn injustice no matter who the perpetrator is. Despite all the vices in society it is still somewhat possible to avoid them and raise your family upon the correct understanding of the religion. Alhumdulilah, we still have some Imaams who understand this and have built strong communities here in America. They might not be vocal supporters of the Mujahideen or even conform to our understanding completely but what is truly important is for them to propagate the correct fundamentals of the religion as understood by Ahlil Sunnah.

10. Ibn Zawaar

Ibn Zawaar Just another Yankee

I understand what you mean, but Islamic activism aside, most of the American Civil Rights activists back in the 60's/70's faced legal & non-legal repercussions due to their non-violent protests (MLK, Rosa Parks, etc.):

- Pelted by eggs for asking for an end to segregation
    - Sprayed by fire hoses for asking for equal rights
    - Hunted by police dogs for protesting discrimination (e.g. Chicago)

Even in the present day, many forms of peaceful activism are met with legal repercussions. I saw this myself when the Boston police flooded the streets with mass arrests and random beatings in order to clean up Occupy Boston.

Better safe than sorry ... but we shouldn't let caution prevent us from doing what's right in an intelligent and collected manner. Using logic & forethought doesn't hurt either.

Hope you manage to stay cool this summer :cool:

striving4akhirah likes this.
  11. striving4akhirah

I agree 100%. What I meant was we need to be smart and do not do anything illegal to put ourselves or our families in danger but if some harm does touch us this is the Qadr of Allah. In shaa Allah bro I will stay cool! I hardly venture out into the elements during the summer months unless I have to lol.

Ibn Zawaar likes this.
  12. Wild Wild West

OK, that is a fair point, but really my 'where were you' was directed to those who are not against their governments foreign policy and not those who oppose it in their hearts but cannot speak out for whatever reason.

I am talking about people who, for example, go and attend iftar parties at the Pentagon or who claim that the US only invaded Iraq to help the people there, or that it was legitimate Islamically because the legitimate Islamic government there wants them to be there, or so on. It is these types of people I have no sympathy for.

walid, wurood and Umm Sayyid Qutb like this.
  13. al-Qanun

al-Qanun أمريكي

what i find strange is that this culture of opposing governments and publically speaking out against them is extremely American. i don't think any nation promotes more khuruj and rebellion than the US. yet it's the muslims in the UK who seem to have adopted this methodology from different groups in the US, while muslims in the US have rejected or avoided speaking against the government, which ironically makes them less American than their UK counterparts.

it's as if opposing the government became fashionable among UK muslims but in the US, muslims who do so will be ostracized by every muslim community. the fact is, people don't usually get arrested and locked up for speaking out against government policies, they might be heavily monitored and they might be set up. however, that is a small price to pay if we consider the sacrifices of those who opposed the government before us and what they went through.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    zreen and Riaz77 like this.
  14. Abu'l 'Eyse

Abu'l 'Eyse Rep-manz

May Allah ta'ala make things easy for everyone Muslims and non-Muslim who have been affected but these conditions! Ameen!

May Allah ta'ala enlight something in their hearts to have this experiance make them more aware of what has happened around the world To millions of people due to phoney and useless wars perpetuated by a warmongering set of people who only see the riches and control of the earth! And may it guide the to speak and act for the truth against oppression! Ameen!

wurood and Wild Wild West like this.
  15. Riaz77

Riaz77 <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

I think that the root of the problem is that a high proportion of American Muslims have professional careers and engaging in radical or anti-establishment politics is a career killer. If one is to succeed as a professional then they have to follow certain unwritten rules, hold 'approved' political views, and play their cards in a particular way or else risk destroying their career prospects. I can't answer for Americans but more than enough British professionals have ruined their careers by involving themselves in campaign groups or political parties that do not impress their bosses. There have even been professionals sacked for membership of the Green Party! In contrast, a high proportion of British Muslims are working or lower middle class so they are less likely to wreck their career by getting involved in activist groups or by speaking out against the government.

Wild Wild West likes this.
  16. Abu Kamel

Abu Kamel <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

As salam alaikum

When I think of the United States of America and the north American continent which it inhabits, I think of the following ayah:

(18:7)
    While there have been perhaps millions of people living on the north American continent for 1000s of years, most of these people have been wiped out and new people arrived, taking over the many bounties. USA is a very new country. There are worthless villages in England three times as old as the USA itself. In Europe, one can find antiques passed between common people which would be celebrated as a relic in America. In relation to the rest of the world, American cities have only really emerged in the past 100 years. Considering the lifespan of all humanity, America is a newborn.

However, it is already nearing its own demise. And it is so because of its own doing.
    I recently returned to USA for family issues. I noticed the poor state of the roadways in uppermidwest and Chicago metro area.
    How civil engineers have been warning about the poor state of infrastructure for over a decade.

And shall we talk about the effects of fracking?
    And the depletion of water sources in the west causing decades old drought?
    Deforestation and suburban sprawl overtaking wilderness areas?

If we make a judgement on America today, after it has sent into extinction passenger pidgeons, and nearly sent into extinction buffaloes, antelopes, wolves, etc. after it allowed oil to be controlled by a single man, and how it gave legitimacy to undying/unending, sociopathic corporations, etc., what would be the judgement on the US of A?

From sea to shining sea: riba` & legalization of zina and sodomism and war on Islam and on and on?

wurood and walid like this.
  17. walid

walid New Member

Problem is that most (not all) american muslims are greedy and Islam is just a religious identity, they are AMERICAN 1st muslim 2nd or last.

Salih Al-Bosni likes this.
  18. Riaz77

Riaz77 <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

There's a big difference between immigrant Muslims in Europe and the US / Canada. In Europe they are mainly economic migrants in search of any work that pays whereas in the US and Canada they are mainly professionals who migrated because pay and career prospects are better in the west than in their home country, or they disagree with the political regime in their country and prefer liberalism. Immigrant Muslims in the US are more often than not employed in careers that white Americans are too dumb to do or are perceived as being too geeky - like engineering and certain types of medicine - and they put their careers ahead of their deen. Muslim communities in Britain are often located in economically depressed inner cities whereas Muslim communities in the US are often located in expensive suburbs filled with like minded professionals.

wurood, walid and Layth like this.
  19. Wild Wild West

Exactly.

We can only thank Allah that our parents (in the UK) were mainly blue-collar workers who migrated for economic reasons only. They therefore held onto their traditions quite well - they established real halal meat centres (which many of their coconut Salafi kids later on deemed unneccessary, but that is another story), mosques and other things. Yes, they would watch bollywood films (when they were a lot better than they are now) and perhaps they practised some religious innovations - and many of them were not religious at all, but their culture frowned upon things like dating, eating pork and so on. There were some of them who were more 'educated' than others and so they would speak English to their kids at home - despite their accents and so on. This was more common in Pakistanis and Indians than Bengalis and I still find it very very strange when I hear my friends speaking to their parents in English instead of Urdu or Punjabi. Anyway, I have noticed that it is usually these kids (who speak English to their parents) who later have some kind of an indentity crisis when they are older - they either become full-coconuts or, if they become religious, they become an uncultured coconut-Salafi type.

The Americans are even more like this. They went there educated - and being educated is not a bad thing, but we have to remember that this type of education was on the back of colonialism and its bedrock was that religion is something backward and bad and that it impedes scientific progress. It was that generation who took off their hijabs and foresook salah for the sake of exams and titles. Little wonder then that their many of their kids, however 'religious' they may be, have completely sold out and seem ashamed to be part of anything other than an 'American Ummah.'

wurood, walid, Abul Qa'qa and 2 others like this.
  20. Tuwaylib

Tuwaylib Anti-Defeatist

Hey, I speak English with my parents and I got no identity crisis. I've found it difficult speaking to them in Bengali. Although, I will have no problem speaking to others in Bengali..

Salih Al-Bosni likes this.