Question What is علم

Discussion in 'Islamic Law' started by Tomato, May 4, 2012.

1. Tomato

Tomato Active Member

Many times I see that the Arabic word [علم] is translated as "knowledge" in English.

Knowledge is defined by Oxford dictionary as:

However, I'm interested in the definition of [علم] according to the classical scholars.

If someone can answer, I would appriciate it.

jazakullahu khairan

Aboo Shayba likes this.
  2. Aboo Shayba

Aboo Shayba WAHHAABI NOT JADEEDI

Shaykh Uthaymeen (RH):

Shaykh Saalih Al-Fawzaan (HA):

3. -Hussain-

-Hussain- Well-Known Member

"
    ‘Ilm [Knowledge] is that which vanishes from committing sins. And is not obtained by a sinner. If solely word-ism was the name of ‘Ilm, it would come together with sin, too - but even with Kufr [Disbelief]. Otherwise in Beirut and Germany Christians are instructors of Arabic, their memory is very strong and their mind is very fast. So, one comes to know that ‘Ilm is not the name of that.

The reality of real ‘Ilm is Noor [Light], regarding which it is said in the Qur’an, قَدْ جَاءكُم مِّنَ اللّهِ نُورٌ وَكِتَابٌ مُّبِينٌ ["There has come to you from Allah a Light and clear Book." - 5:15]. And this has been given a Ruh [Soul] as well, وَأَيَّدَهُم بِرُوحٍ ["...and has helped them with a Spirit from Him." - 58:22]. Enough, in reality exactly this is ‘Ilm."

Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanvi (Rahimahullah)

4. -Hussain-

[video=youtube;KYb57K5Wgfo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYb57K5Wgfo[/video]

5. -Hussain-

Imaam ash-Shaafi'ee (rh) said:
    "I complained to Wakee' (his teacher) about the poorness of my memory
    So he directed me to abandon disobedience
    And informed me that the knowledge of Allaah is light
    And [that] the light of Allaah does not guide the disobedient"