Why do Muslim men wear hats/scarves?

Discussion in 'Islam in General' started by AkramUKConv, Jul 13, 2007.

1. AkramUKConv

AkramUKConv New Member

This may sound like an odd question, but I am being genuine.

I know their is such a think as a prayer hat but is the one below (and the others in this link) prayer hats or other sorts of hats?

If they are prayer hats, what is their purpose?

I see Muslims wear these sorts of ats all the time, even when shopping, what is their purpose?

[​IMG]

Also, what is the purpose of the male headscarves? I believed they were worn in the Middle East to protect from the sun, sand, and also to be worn as a turban but why in Europe? What is their purpose?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Umm

Umm New Member

Hat= fashion

Scarves= a nifty disguise.

3. Umm Ahmed

Umm Ahmed 2C oursels as ithers C us

lol someone will read this, and the next thing you know there will be a ban on men wearing scarfs.

Question:
    Is it a sunnah to wear a cap (or turban) especially during salat? I see many 'learned' brothers simply say that this is not sunnah and therefore pray without covering the head. Does Rasulullah Sallalahu Alaihi wassalam wear a turban or cap all the time even outside salat? Is this an Arab tradition or something that Allah recommended Rasul SAW to do as an example to his ummah?

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=2436&ln=eng&txt=clothes

There are hadiths that say our beloved phrophet (saw) wore a turban.

Abdullah ibn Abbas reports: “The Prophet addressed the people, wearing a black turban.” Jabir ibn Abdullah reports: “The Prophet entered Makkah when it fell to him, wearing a black turban.” (Related by by Abu Dawood.)

Ibn Umar reports: “When the Prophet wore a turban, he used to let its end loose coming down between his shoulders.” Nafi’, Ibn Umar’s disciple, says: ‘Abdullah ibn Umar used to do the same.’ (Related by Al-Tirmidhi.)

Allaahu alaam its not something that has been obligated on the men to do.

4. Expergefactionist

Expergefactionist hmmm... Staff Member

It's all fashion/custom, etc... like this:
    [​IMG]
    no more, no less.

5. AkramUKConv

AkramUKConv New Member

Thank you all, that was easy enough!

What about prayer caps then? Is their such a thing? Do you have to wear one when you pray and if you do (regardless of whether you have to) is it different from the one I show above or would that suffice?

6. nomad

nomad muslim female

I encourage my boys to wear caps because of identity purposes. They are a muslim, people will view them as such and it will remind them they are muslim at times of difficulty. I think the whole scarf hat man thing has become an identity thing rather than anything else.

7. Abdul-Ahad

Abdul-Ahad New Member

Wearing a Hat (Qalansuwa)

Wearing a Hat (Qalansuwa)

What is the ruling on a topi (hat) in shariah? sunat, mustahab etc? If it is possible can you please provide dalil?

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

Wearing a hat (Qalansuwa in Arabic and Topi in Urdu) is a Sunnah of our blessed Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace), Sahaba (Allah be pleased with them all) and the great scholars and pious predecessors of this Ummah.

There are many evidences which support this, just to mention a few:

1) Sayyiduna Abd Allah ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that “the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) used to wear a white hat.” (Recorded by Tabrani)

2) Hasan al-Basri (Allah be pleased with him) says: “The people (Sahaba-Allah be pleased with them all) used to perform Sajdah (prostration) upon their turbans and hats.” (Sahih al-Bukhari, 1/151)

3) Rukanah (Allah be pleased with him) says, I heard the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) say: “The difference between us and the polytheists is, wearing the turban over the hat.” (Sunan Abu Dawud, 4075 & Sunan Tirmidhi, 3919)

4) In the ‘Musannaf’ of Ibn Abi Shaybah, the wearing of a hat is reported from Ali ibn al-Husain, Abd Allah ibn Zubair, Dahhak and Abu Musa (Allah be pleased with them all).

It is clear from the above that wearing a hat is a Sunnah. It has been the practise of the Ummah throughout history, and has become one of the symbols of Islam.

The great Hanafi jurist, Mulla Ali al-Qari (Allah have mercy on him) states that the wearing of the hat has become one of the salient symbols of Islam. (Mirqat al-Masabih, 8/246)

Due to the above, the scholars mention that even though, not wearing a hat can not be classed as unlawful (haram), as it is a Sunnah, but due to the fact that it has become one of the signs of Islam, it is generally undesirable to keep the head exposed. One should try and keep the head covered whenever reasonably possible.

And Allah knows best

Muhammad ibn Adam
    Darul Iftaa
    Leicester , UK

8. sajjid

sajjid New Member

Yeah, well said. It's Muslim identity especially when you're living among the kuffaar.

9. StudentofKnowledge

StudentofKnowledge New Member

It is about Muslim identity and covering the head is mustahab for a men according to Shaikh Albaani (May Allah have mercy on him), who wrote:

"All acknowledge that it is desirable for the Muslim to enter prayer in the most perfect Islamic appearance, due to the hadith: "Allah is worthier of your self-adornment" [hasan]. And it is not part of excellent attire in the custom of the Salaf to habitually bare one's head, and walk in that guise on the road and when entering places of worship. Rather, it is a foreign custom which infiltrated many Islamic countries at the time the disbelievers invaded them and brought their habits with them. The Muslims began to imitate them in this, and they lost thereby their Islamic personality as well as through other similar acts... Nor is it established that the Prophet ever prayed bareheaded and without a turban other than in the state of ihram, although there were plenty of occasions to report it if he did. Therefore, whoever claims that he did, let him produce the proof, for truth is more deserving to be followed."

[Reference al-Din al-khalis Volume # 3 Page # 214 and al-Ajwiba al-nafi`a `an al-masa'il al-waqi`a Page #110]

10. AkramUKConv

AkramUKConv New Member

OK, so I see that it is generally an identity/fashion thing. However, do we have a specific prayer cap?

11. AkramUKConv

AkramUKConv New Member

Also to my question above (a cap like this, is it definately needed?), the scarf the Muslim is wearing below:

[​IMG]

Is that the same as the Yashmag or Igaal (Palestinian Scarf) that is shown below? The both look the same and both have tassles. But, can the one shown below be worn like the one the Muslim is wearing above?

http://www.muslimbase.com/images/palestinian-scarf-003190.jpg

I ask about wearing it above because I am interested but also because I see a few young white teenagers in my area wearing a very similar thing and they are not Muslims. Is it a message of support against the tyranny of Israel and the West?

I guess you can by folding the below:

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/188061/2/istockphoto_188061_palestinian_scarf.jpg

Like this:

http://www.geocities.com/palsolidarity/Hattat.jpg

And then pinning those two top pints behind your neck?

Or just tying it together like this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/105/291058667_91af286fb4.jpg

Or, just like this:

http://www.freedom-clothing.co.uk/scarf.jpg

I mean, I see them warn like this: http://www.thebaglady.tv/scarves.JPG but then the description of this scarf (and this is the reason I think those teens wear it like I said) but the reason they are so popular is because of this: sudden influx of these 'rock' tassel scarves has taken me a bit by surprise - they're everywhere!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  12. AkramUKConv

AkramUKConv New Member

I was right, it is the Palastinian scarf that Muslims and non-Muslims wear out of respect for the Palastinian struggle (wearing in solidarity. [fashion history of wearing it]) but also it has been ter by teens as a fashion statement:

http://www.nowpublic.com/keffiyah_scarfs_simple_trend_or_political_statement

and here:

http://jewschool.com/2007/01/16/oddly-familiar-anti-war-scarves-now-at-an-urbn-near-you/

And Wikipedia actualy talk about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keffiyeh

I am glad I am not going mad and this has satisfied my brain.

Now, how to wear it:

I see a Muslim wearing it like THIS.

and it is fashionable to wear it like THIS.

But I am told it is also a political statment usualy wearing it like THIS and like THIS.

But, how do you wear it like THIS, THIS: , THIS, and like THIS.

And, if a prayer cap is needed, where can one like this be gotten:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  13. alghayb

alghayb Under the Tawhid Banner

What are the proper names of these caps:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I ask because Wikipedia says the first image is a Taqiyah and the second is a Kufi.

But, on various muslim shop sites both caps are referred to as Kufi. What is the right name?

14. Umm Ahmed

Umm Ahmed 2C oursels as ithers C us

Here they are called Gaffiyah with the G , but other countries call the scarf on the head the keffiyeh which is similar , but here that is called Ghutrah different dialects maybe.

15. Abu Bakr as-Somali

Abu Bakr as-Somali <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

The Shmaagh (Red white) is worn traditionally in the Gulf (while they also have a white one with the black thingie on it).

Its also much used in Shaam (especially Dimashq)

16. alghayb

alghayb Under the Tawhid Banner

Not scarves, hats... see post above...

17. Idriss

Idriss New Member

I don’t think that it is just a Muslim thing but a “tradition” that has been with all people at different time’s like a hundred years ago my grandfather would never have left the house without wearing a hat and he would say’ it does not befit the honour of a gentleman that he should go from his home without wearing a hat’ and it you look at old photos from the past rare you will see a group of men but all have hats and beards’ most men were of that ilk’ from the chimney sweeper to the post man to the prime minister’ so maybe it’s a universal tradition?

18. decendguy

decendguy New Member

Asalam Walikum Varahmathulahi Vabarakatuhu.My Dear Friends Islam is not culture it is life of every muslim.Nabi (SA) didnot did anything without a reason.Do you Know why we are wearing Caps.Wearing Caps to protect them from sun is another purposes, but the real purposes is that the cap protects the head from the harmful magnetic waves which the earth produces.This recent discovery was made by the scientists and Nabi(SA) told to wear caps about a decades and now scientists are insisting to wear caps now.My dear friends wearing cap is good and it is a sunnah to wear.We should wear caps during Prayer as it is also sunnah and we must accept that our salah with a cap multiplies our reward 25 times than a normal prayer.And it is the same in Juma(friday) prayer.So my dear Friends we should also know that wearing cap help us to identify that we are muslims.It is also help us an identity.well an hadith is stated below.

Praise be to Allaah.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O Children of Adam! Take your adornment (by wearing your clean clothes) while praying…” [al-A’raaf 7:31]
    If covering the head is customarily regarded as a part of adornment in a particular country, then the head should be covered, otherwise it does not have to be covered. And Allaah knows best.
    My dear friends dont stop using Caps and islam states and insist to wear caps.
    well if u have any doubts you can contact me through decendguy@yahoo.com.
    MAY ALLAH SHOWER BLESSINGS ON ALL OF US (AMEEN)

FEHMAN ALLAH.

19. Wild Wild West

Wild Wild West لا تعتذر اليوم

I think that it looks very noble when a man wears a hat on his head.