Question Why do so many Christians embrace Islam?

Discussion in 'Islam in General' started by iloveislam, May 18, 2009.

1. iloveislam

iloveislam <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

From my observation a large number of people who revert to Islam come mainly from Christianity.

But why?

Why not that many from Judaism, Hinduism, Atheism/Agnosticism, etc.?

I would like to know from you on why do you think this is.

As for the reverts on this forum who were previously Christian, please briefly tell me 'what led you to embrace Islam?'
  2. abuhannah

abuhannah Well-Known Member

Even though I was raised by and served in the church by the time I was 18 I had become a heathen extroidinaire and stayed as such until one day I slipped in the street walking one morning,a chap coming back from fajir salah with a big beard helped me up of the floor and the rest is history,as for looking for Islam to be honest I wasn't looking for it at all nor did I even know what Muslims believed in on any level.So why would Christians enter in their droves I dont know as I wasn't one,all I can say is Allah guides who He S.W.T Wills and may He Keep us firm in that Iman,ameen..........
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  3. Suhaib Jobst

Suhaib Jobst 'Amal Ahl al-Madina

As Salam Alaykum,

I cannot speak for others as we are guided to Islam through various ways that Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala) opens our heart. For a majority I would say that it had to do with the lack of a real captivation of the heart by Christianity, which failed to hold any attachment upon their heart anymore.

For some it probably did not come from doubting the doctrines as much as this emotional, reflective element. Often as their new conception of God comes about do they start to re-evaluate their former beliefs in a more intellectual manner.

However, there is a large element of former Christians who found Trinitarian doctrines incompatible to their nature. They could simply not wrap their logic behind it, as there are too many inconsistencies. These brothers and sisters sought a simple relationship with their Creator, while the Trinity obscured and complicated this relationship.

So it is either from personal or emotional experiences, or quiet reflection. It is true that a small minority, mostly former members of the Christian clergy who converted, undertook an intellectual study of the Bible and that the results of their study led them to the Truth contained in the Qur'an. But I would say this element is almost entirely confined to former clerics or theologians.

My own relationship with Catholicism was not legalistic as much as emotional. I did not come from a church-going family, but we did regard ourselves as Catholics at least on this emotional (not to mention cultural/ancestral) level and sometimes bore the brunt of evangelical Protestant prejudices.

I had a deep and abiding love of Prophet Isa (alaihi salam) and his beloved mother, the blessed Virgin Maryam (alaiha salam). The problem was that it was entirely against my nature to believe in some mysterious and complicated Godhead.

I could find no clear evidence for this belief from the words attributed to him except in the form of later additions that largely were words of others who did not even know him. I saw that my then faith had been corrupted from its original sources by a hierarchical institution which vested themselves with a monopoly on interpreting and disseminating "truth".

I also saw the political factors behind this doctrine of Original Sin that seemed to make us all innate sinners. Neither was it clear to me how everyone could have the "sin" of Adam and Eve. And if Jesus supposedly "died" for the "sins" of others, then why was this doctrine continued?! Just another inconsistency which made little sense, no matter how much the Church or Christian apologists tried to explain it away.

So I briefly tried out Protestantism but did not like it since it too was Trinitarian and believed one could have faith without acts (one of the primary differences between it and Catholicism). So I researched the various world religions but none of them appealed to me or withstood the test....until Islam was the last choice for me.

I was deeply impressed with its simple concept of Divinity and our relationship to the Creator. Here was a faith which portrayed Jesus as I had instinctively come to believe: as a noble prophet, but not a "son" as it was contrary to the nature of God to have been begotten or beget. How could one ascribe such imperfect human qualities to the Divine?

Couple this with the important status given in Islam to a woman I respected deeply - Maryam. She is mentioned in the Qur'an more times than in the Bible and there is even an entire sura named after her. The Qur'anic accounts impressed me and seemed to complete the New Testament (particularly the later gospels).

Finally, when I looked at the character of Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu 'alaihi wa salam), it became clear that he had the same fundamental message as Isa and exactly through these qualities completed the message. At all levels Islam was fully complementary to the incomplete and confused faith I had earlier.
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  4. iloveislam

Wa'alaykum as-salaam

Jazakullah Khair to both of you for your kind input.

May Allah guide us on the right path
  5. Abu Abdallah al-Bulghari

Abu Abdallah al-Bulghari <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

Christianity have lesser history of Kufr than Judaism, and that is the only reasonable comparison here. Other ideologies mentioned are pure evil Shirk without any shred of truth.

Number of Christians is less because the number of Jews is less. The perceived statistics of reverts in our Masjid approximately corresponds to the ratio of Jews and Christians in US.
  6. iloveislam

I am not sure if I can agree with that brother because the Christians blatently commit Shirk by worshiping Isa (peace be upon him) and Maryam.

However I would think that it is due to the fact that some things in their Bible are similar to that in the Qur'an.

Also from what I have seen many reverts from Christianity say is that their belief in the "divinity" of Isa did not make sense, so the only rational path to choose was Islam, since in that way they can still love Isa and not disrespect him like the Jews do.

However my statistics do not!

In my lifetime so far I have only seen two-three former Jews revert to Islam whereas I have seen far far to many Christians revert to Islam, such that it would not correspond to the ratio in accordance to their population.

I personally think Jews in general are more arrogant than Christians in general.
  7. because allaah says:

Verily, you will find the strongest among men in enmity to the believers (Muslims) the Jews and those who are Al-Mushrikun (see V.2:105), and you will find the nearest in love to the believers (Muslims) those who say: "We are Christians." That is because amongst them are priests and monks, and they are not proud. [5:82]

And when they (who call themselves Christians) listen to what has been sent down to the Messenger (Muhammad), you see their eyes overflowing with tears because of the truth they have recognised. They say: "Our Lord! We believe; so write us down among the witnesses. [5:83]

perhaps some christians are sincere in their search for the truth. they believe in the creator in the afterlife and in revelation but their problem is that they are wasting their time reading the wrong book. once they actually take the time to read the qur'aan they will recognize this deen as the truth as the qur'aan is clear whereas the bible leaves many questions unanswered and many readers confused.
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
  8. iloveislam

Jazakullah Khair brother aboo ayaat al hindee

Subhan'Allaah those Ayat from the Qur'an basically answered my question.
  9. RevertSister

RevertSister New Member

Salaam Alaikum

As there are c 2 billion Christians in the world, and only c15million Jews, that probably accounts for a lot of it for those two religions.

In terms of why there are less Hindu converts (Hindu world population, c 0.9bn), perhaps that reflects two things: 1. as has already been observed, the Abrahamic religions share more similarities than say Islam and Hinduism and also Jews, Christians and Muslims have historically got on reasonably well with one another - I'm not sure the same can be said for Hindus and Muslims.

10. iloveislam

Wa'alaykum salaam wa rahmathullah sister

I do agree with you concerning the reason for why there are less Hindu reverts to Islam. I also like to add that they (the Hindus) may have a greater cultural barrier than others.

Also the people in the west (mainly Christians, Atheists and Agnostics) tend to be more open minded than those in the East.

Another reason may also be that Hindus in India are more prone to attacked by their families and relatives if they embrace Islam whereas in the west this still exists but to a lesser degree.

What about you RS?

What was the main reason for why you left Christianity and embraced Islam?
  11. Abu Abdallah al-Bulghari

Abu Abdallah al-Bulghari <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

Among the reverts I met only some Christians had previously a strong religious conviction, the rest: Hindus, Jews, atheists did not really have a strong opinion on religion.
  12. Suhaib Jobst

Suhaib Jobst 'Amal Ahl al-Madina

As Salam Alaykum,

Indeed, I noticed this as well. Perhaps the reason is that we former Christians had more of a spiritual belief and emotional element, which made us more susceptible to approach Islam through such a conviction. So hence it was not hard for us to see the logical truth in the Islamic conception of the Divine, the character of the Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu 'alaihi wa salam) as a firm proof of the Seal of Prophethood, and the Holy Qur'an as the completion and culmination of the distorted Bible. I cannot comment much on Hindus, but a surprising number of Jews are actually atheists or agnostics while the religion itself strikes me as far more legalistic than spiritual. As for atheists, then they have a negative psychology - defined by what they don't believe rather than what they do believe - which causes them to reject one faith and accept an other based on personal worldly reasons rather than any religious conviction. Wa Allahu A'lam.
    Last edited: May 21, 2009