Question Would this still be considered khulwah?

Discussion in 'Islamic Law' started by ish, Dec 30, 2011.

1. ish

ish ...

Assalamu alaykum,

Scenario: A woman is living in Saudi Arabia alone and must work to support herself. She does not have the option to walk to work. Obviously, she can't drive, so what are her halal options?

According to all the fatwas I read in IslamQA (#1, #2, #3, #4) a woman riding in a car alone with one male non-mahram driver is considered khulwah.

I've read the following explanation of khulwah (cited in IslamQA):

And:

So, my question is: Would it still be khulwah if she had a large vehicle customized in a way so that the front and back compartments are completely separated from each other, making it impossible for the driver and back passenger to touch, see, or hear each other while inside? Kind of like how limos are designed? Would this be permissible or still haram khulwah?

If it is permissible, then that answers my question.

If it is not, then would she be required to hire two males so that there are three people in the car and not just one male and one female? (Two males because if she hires one male driver and a female to be the third, then when she gets dropped off at work the male driver and the female would be left alone in the car).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  2. wahhabi dissident

wahhabi dissident New Member

walaikum assalam

this is why i don't understand why they do not allow women to drive themselves and by the way i think that fatwa site also says woman cannot live alone.